Thread: PIP - losing motability car

PIP - losing motability car

Hi all

I have chronic sarcoidosis, i have renewed my dla to PIP and have got 10 points under mobility, I did not quite understand the first question planning and following journeys - so have scored no points. They are phoning me Friday to discuss the decision and feel and will ask for a reconsideration, has anyone had a reconsideration and what happens.

If your mobility problems are purely physical, it would be normal to score nothing for "planning and following journeys".

It sounds as if you've been given the 10 point descriptor for "moving around": "can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres". This will only give you standard rate Mobility and will mean you lose entitlement to Motability.

I've included a suggested approach to reconsideration in the sticky PIP thread, which is based on Disability Rights UK's suggested approach. You make your submission, ideally in writing, and another decision maker looks at the evidence again before making a new decision.

Please read the first few posts in the sticky PIP thread, where I discuss the way PIP works. A particularly crucial part is:
    With PIP, you can only be assessed as doing something if you can do it safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly (as often as reasonably required) and in a reasonable time period (in no more than twice the maximum time taken by someone without a relevant disability). When put together with the points system's foundation in proportion of days, this serves to exclude occasional superhuman efforts, which might be particularly relevant to walking.

What you are probably trying to show, taking those things into account, is that your walking ability is "can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided". This gives you 12 points for "moving around" and therefore enhanced rate Mobility.