Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown Envelope Asking To See Bank Statement

Brown Envelope Asking To See Bank Statement

Was a intake of breath moment! But once I'd picked it up & felt it was thin it could not be a dreaded reassessment phew!

It's asking to see my latest bank statement which is no problem as long as my family members printer is working or I can ask another family member to try the local newsagents they used to have one people can use.

I'm guessing this is because since this time last year they gave me IR ESA & they have written what I told them I had this time last year & want to see if it's changed either way I suppose.

My question is do they ask to see my bank statement every year? or do they just do it here & there & it's a coincidence?

And another question I've just thought of about sending it back, they have given me a second class paid for envelope the address has a postcode, since last year they took a long time getting the letter & uploading the info onto their screens would it be a good idea to send it recorded delivery? especially as it's so close to Christmas

Thank You

They can ask to see a bank statement at any time.
    But it's more likely if you've had decuctions for savings at some time, or if at sometime you have said savings were above 5K and so may be getting close to the 6K limit for deductions, that they'll want to see one regularly.
    (I've not been asked for one since I first claimed 9 years ago).

Personally I'd save your money on the postage and just send it in the envelope provided; if you want to then take it to the PO counter and get free 'proof of posting'.
    I doubt that recorded or even special delivery would be any quicker than 2nd class post at this time of year, at least not to the DWP.

I'm not convinced that with DWP mail sending it recorded/tracked, or even special delivery, is any quicker at any other time of year either, it all ends up in the same sacks delivered a wagon load at a time to the large DWP mail handling centres just outside Wolverhampton.

Of course if it gives you peace of mind that by paying for a tracked or special delivery proves that you sent it off in time then you may see the extra cost as worth it.
    But free 'proof of posting' should also give that same reassurance.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

The reason I like to use tracked post to DWP is that I can check online and see when it's been delivered. Stops me from worrying about it having been lost

Thank you so much to both of you,

I've had a look at what I told them I have last year to what I've got now & I'm £474 lower so nothings going to change in what they pay me. And once they have this back & see that they are going to keep the benefit the same do they write back & tell you? or do you just no hear anything?

There is no date on the letter for when it needs to be back to them just say's the quicker they get it the quicker they can pay me the correct benefit. So If I did get proof of posting & in time they send a letter back saying they didn't get it & I send them proof of posting would there be anything they would do against me for not getting this back to them?

Apart from peace of mind (which is highly beneficial)

I couldn't tell you if they'll get back to you, like I say I've never had to send them one.
    Possibly not if it doesn't change anything.

Proof of posting just shows that you did send them something on that date.
    If they say they didn't recieve it then at least you can show that you did send them something.
    Although to be honest that could have been an empty envelope, there is no proof of what was inside it, there again that's the same with any paid for special delivery.

As there is no specified date to send it back by then it's just a 'for information' really, so if they later say they didn't get it then you just send them another copy.

Thanks Nuke,

I've just gone over the letter again as we were talking about that they don't make things easy to read, but defo no send back by date. Thanks for explaining the difference with the different post options & I'm going to go with the proof of posting as it's not a timed to arrive by letter & keep everything crossed!. I will let you know if I get a letter back about it

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    The reason I like to use tracked post to DWP is that I can check online and see when it's been delivered. Stops me from worrying about it having been lost
    Mmm, dunno if that's just not more stress tracking it?
    I'd rather just get the free proof it's been posted to show I've done my bit, and then forget about it.

Let's face it, if it does go missing then there is not a lot you can do anyway other than send it again.
    Arguing with the DWP that it went missing after delivery at their end is never going to get you very far.

I see your point, but for me, knowing it's arrived stops me spending the long weeks/months before anything happens worrying that it never got there. I can forget about it if I know it's in their hands, not just out of mine.

Typically one of the things I've got to photocopy is so faded it does not show up when it's printed

So I need to now deploy another family member next week to ask the company if they can re print it so that it does show up when printed.

Then it's back to the first family member to photocopy it again for me to send it to them. So as it's so close to Christmas & it's going to take a few days I'm going to post it after boxing day. The letter say's it was typed on the 14th of Dec so that will still be posted two weeks from when they typed the letter.

Plus I'm hoping there will be less post around after Christmas so hopefully it's got a better chance of getting there quicker (fingers Crossed)

If you (or the family member) can scan it rather than photocopying then you may be able to sharpen it and blacken up the text using image software on your computer.

The scanning programme itself will often have a simple function that will scan it darker/lighter softer/sharper.

There are also online tools that will clean up and sharpen scanned PDFs, (or other formats), to make them more readable; just google 'sharpen pdf online free'.
    I've tried a couple previously and they can usually make a pretty good job of darkening/sharpening text, lightening dark backgrounds, removing scattered dots and dust marks, removing 'crease lines', etc.