Thread: How politics affects our benefits

How politics affects our benefits

Now i not saying who to vote for in the coming election and i for one are no lover of what the new labour did with there constant attacks on incapacity benefit and bought in the dreaded and unfair esa.
    But we have had the cons in from 2010 and they said dla was safe under them before the election but look what has happened a new benefit which even disability rights uk has tried to fight but the gov took no notice now a change was made to new esa benefit to cut the numbers on it and the same with dla as dla could have still been amended and also us on it already could have been automactically transferred to it.
    To make excuse that people lingered for years on this benefit without medicals is untrue as i had a lifetime award but still had a medical while on it.

"No matter who you vote for, The Government Always Gets In" The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band,

My Lib Dem MP has been, 'helpful'. But would I trust any party or say they're safe to vote for? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    But we have had the cons in from 2010 and they said dla was safe under them before the election but look what has happened a new benefit which even disability rights uk has tried to fight but the gov took no notice now a change was made to new esa benefit to cut the numbers on it and the same with dla as dla could have still been amended and also us on it already could have been automactically transferred to it.
    As I've already said, the introduction of PIP is a set of complex and interlinked changes to modernise DLA that were so fundamental it was really irrelevant whether the DLA name was kept or not. On balance, it was probably less confusing to have a new name.

I detest the cuts that were embedded in the change from DLA to PIP, but alongside criticising what is wrong with PIP we must acknowledge that the more modern approach PIP takes to mental health and to sensory impairment can result in higher awards than under DLA.

It was a deliberate decision to reassess everyone moving from DLA to PIP. By reassessing existing claimants, every award is reviewed under the PIP criteria, and everyone on PIP has been assessed to the same criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by tinytim View Post
    To make excuse that people lingered for years on this benefit without medicals is untrue as i had a lifetime award but still had a medical while on it.
    A single example doesn't prove a generality. Your lifetime DLA award was reviewed, but the statistics show that many lifetime and indefinite DLA awards have not been looked at since they were made. Some of these awards will be 22 years old now if they were made under the DLA banner and might be even older if they were made in the pre-DLA days when people of working age claimed Attendance Allowance and Mobility Allowance.

The benefits system is not always the best at leaving alone those for whom change is unlikely. ESA gets it very wrong, with a maximum review period of three years.

I believe PIP takes a realistic approach to review. The review date of a PIP award is determined at the time the decision is made in advance and is included in the decision letter. If no change is felt to be likely in the long term, an "ongoing period" award is made and the review takes place after ten years.

My dear old day always use to say " they're all good government when they're not in power and they all p.ss in the same pot" Dad never voted in his life and so he never joined in conversations about politics.INHO they're all a load of posh boys who will never have to worry about where there next £ is coming from to pay there bills.

My biggest worry at the minute is PIP.To look at me people think there is nothing wrong with me because I don't have symptems you can see.I have MS as I know people on here have as well so they will know where im coming from.I also have a collapse disc rubbing on a nerve which whithout medication is very painful..
    My DLA award is in definite but I know that makes not the slightest difference with PIP.

I thought I wasn't a worrier about things which I'm not usually but PIP is in my thoughts now most of the time.

My dear old dad always use to say " they're all good government when they're not in power and they all p.ss in the same pot" Dad never voted in his life and so he never joined in conversations about politics.INHO they're all a load of posh boys who will never have to worry about where there next ? is coming from to pay there bills.

My biggest worry at the minute is PIP.To look at me people think there is nothing wrong with me because I don't have symptems you can see.I have MS as I know people on here have as well so they will know where im coming from.I also have a collapse disc rubbing on a nerve which whithout medication is very painful..
    My DLA award is in definite but I know that makes not the slightest difference with PIP.

I thought I wasn't a worrier about things which I'm not usually but PIP is in my thoughts now most of the time.