Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State pension age rise changes since 2010 with con dems

State pension age rise changes since 2010 with con dems

Another thing that not only affects the sick and disabled and able bodied is the unfair change that the previous labour gov had an independent policy on the state pension age.
    Age uk has been unhappy as it effects woman in the early and late 50s as they were going to be able to retire at 60 and I know many of you will say well woman wanted equality, but it also affects many men especially those who have had there benefits cut and taken away as they could claim the pension credit at 60 now its 65 66 67 for some so they will have many years having to sign on and the hassel of jobcentre plus even though there too ill to work.
    The excuse by the gov is people are living longer yes and we want to and be able to have many years of leisure like you rich guys? and if you want to and have good health you can still have the choice to carry on working.
    My dad bless him worked all his life and never had a sick day looke forward to retiring at 65 but he passed away at 64 so this happens to many its the poorer in society and vunerable that may face poverty due to this pension change.
    We paid into the national insurance scheme to be able to claim state benefits which include the state pension and along comes a dictatorship and take away what we were looking forward to.

National Insurance includes paying into the NHS. As people live longer the State Pension Age needs to rise. It would be foolish to leave the pension as it was, where people are living into there 90's. I believe that in the next 30 to 40 years the State Pension will be phased out with the expectation that people pay into a private pension.

On another note, I have noticed that you have started many threads that are political. If that is your aim you should place them in the Community and Chat and not in this sub-forum.

I'm a support worker with the over 60's and I know one chap who is 62, has epilepsy, mild learning/cognitive difficulties as a result of his brain being damaged by a lifetime of seizures, is illiterate, has severe arthritis and is still expected to sign on as available for work. He was on ESA but some "expert" decided he was fit for work despite his obvious problems. They've been generous enough to give him a disability premium on his JSA because he managed to get standard PIP mobility and he has a dedicated "disability" adviser at the Jobcentre. A few years ago he would have been able to get pension credit at 60 and live much more comfortably, instead of the farce of signing on every 2 weeks and having to go on yet more "training courses" which are about as effective as trying to plait fog! He now has to wait another 18 months to get PC while going through the motions of signing on and "looking for work" when he has absolutely no realistic chance of finding a suitable job. Surely they're wasting more resources on tying up all these DWP staff to police his efforts to find work, not to mention the expense of sending him on these various "courses" which so far have not been a bit of use to him. In their haste to slash everyone's benefits and tell us all how wonderful they are, they've simply saved on one thing and wasted it on something else instead.

Toolook we pay into the state pension for many years which by the way is safer than a private pension as i could have opted out if we even knew that the cons were going to con us.
    I do think that it maybe political but its what affects us and to be honest this gov has done nothing for the poor and vunerable in society.
    By the way well said caley you made a better point than me and its so true.

Well said caley where are some of these people coming from trying to defend this con gov holy moly it beggers belief.

I got my pension at 60, so I suppose one of the lucky ones.
    What I can say is that both my husband and I have noticed a general 'slowing down' in what we are able to do as we have moved into our 60's.
    I have carried on working, more for enjoyment of what I do as anything ( respite carer for special needs children) but only part time.
    I'm 66 this year and since my hospital admission last November have done a lot of thinking - and so I have fully retired.
    We get ailments as we get older as well as tire easily.
    What's the saying ---
    Work Kills Horses!!!!
    Sea Queen

I'm sorry but there is some misrepresentation here. The Pension Act 2007 increased the state retirement age and equalised the age for men and women. Whilst, as with every act there were many changes, these two are relevant here:

Raising the pension age for women to 65 by 2020.
    Raising the pension age for both women and men from 65 to 68 between 2024 and 2046.

The Pension Act 2011 amended the timetable to bring these changes forward.

So, it was a Labour Government which first introduced the changes and this Government amended them. The changes in the 2007 act were the recommendations of an all party commission.
    Last edited by vantage; 17-01-15 at 17:51.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Yes but us in the middle 50s were still to retire at 65 now i will have to wait a further year and could have been on pension credit still at 60 under the labour rules as dwp have told me this.

No need to be sorry 'vantage' - you were only correcting the political mud slinging included above.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisD; 18-01-15 at 14:41.

Yes it was labour which did have an independent review before implementing the policy but the timeline was a lot longer than when the con dems altered the goalposts again so many in there middle 50s have to wait even longer for there pension and cannot claim pention credit at 60 under labour policy we could have done as age uk had said.