Thread: Entry to House

Entry to House

Hi just a quick question to ask if anyone has or knows of someone that has a support worker or carer that is not family.

The reason I asking is how do they get into the house if the patient can't come to the door someone did tell me that there is a safe type box with the house key in it attached to the outside wall ? I don't know if I like that idea if that is a way to get in how safe is the actual box ? Surely someone could break into this box if they really wanted to ? So I not so keen on that idea or is there Amy other ways. thx in advance

My mom has a keybox for this very reason. Social services will put in a little box externally and it will have to be opened by a code, known only to carers, family members etc. Quite secure.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    My mom has a keybox for this very reason. Social services will put in a little box externally and it will have to be opened by a code, known only to carers, family members etc. Quite secure.
    Could this box not be taken off the wall anyway ? like getting prized off or hammered off ? thx

I too have concerns about the security of key safes. The entry number will be passed from carer to carer depending on who is booked to arrive, easy to get it leaked if they are not totally honest. Plus as you say they could be prised off the wall.

My solution is that my carer, who is private, has a front and back door key as does a friend down the road. My daughter also holds a key to the property although that is a last resort as she works.

There are plenty of different types of these keysafes:
    http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/Categor...y-safes/1.html

Most are strong enough to stand up to a hammer and chisel attack even if they have been prised off the wall.
    As for prising it off the wall, why would a burgular bother when they could just crowbar open the door itself instead.

Security of the number being passed around could be a problem but you can usually change it, of course that then gives the problem of letting authorised users know that it has been changed.

As with all types of safe the idea is not to be impenatrable, but to make it so hard that a thief will go somewhere easier.

Edit
    I like the look of this one with a sliding cover and built in light.
    http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/product...-key-safe.html
    Last edited by nukecad; 16-01-15 at 10:45.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Super Moderator
    Goodmorning 1plus2,

Thank you for your enquire. The product you're referring to is called a keysafe. It's a small combination safe that's installed outside on the wall near the door and holds the key. Installing a keysafe may be an alternative to having multiple copies of your house keys cut.

Tests have shown that some key safes are more secure than others which may determine whether they are approved by home insurance providers. One relevant standard that some keysafes meet is LPS, a specification for testing and classifying the burglary resistance of building components, strong points and security enclosures.

Please have a look at the link below for more product information:
    http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/tel...ysafes-2195-p/

Kind regards,
    Dlf Team

My mom's neighbour has a key, as my mom has had falls. i and my cousin have a key as she has been in hospital and we needed access.
    But i cannot be there every day or even month (I live in different town) and carer comes every day. Given that at one point she could hardly walk, keysafe is best option. and no they can NOT be easily prized off the wall! I think you would hear a bloke with a chisel at the front door and phone police, no!???
    The alternative? Emergency services having to call police to bust down the door.
    If its an agency carer, this will be the option they go for. They do not want to hold multiple keys for multiple clients and pass them around multiple members staff.

The better quality key safes should be very difficult to remove with a sledgehammer if properly installed on a brick wall. It would probably be no more disruptive to mount a direct physical attack on the door.

Unfortunately, the locks on key safes aren't the greatest. I believe there is still only one police approved ("Secured by Design") model - the GE Supra C500. This has a mechanical push button lock - choose any combination of 0 to 12 buttons. You can press the buttons in any order, which dramatically reduces the possible combinations. Worse still, this type of lock is susceptible to a decoding attack - there's a video on YouTube of someone opening one of these key safes with an unknown combination in around 90 seconds using no tools (the technique is obscured but I believe the video is genuine).

Cheaper push button key safes are trivial to decode - there's videos that are not obscured on YouTube showing the technique. Rotating dial key safes are worse still - the technique to open this type of lock is very well known.

I would go for the Supra if you need a key safe and install it properly, as that is much better than leaving the door unlocked when you are home. However, I wouldn't rely on the key inside to be the only defence to walking in to the property when unattended.

If you have a wooden front door, you could have a cylinder lock and a mortice lock fitted, but only put the cylinder lock key in the key safe. You don't normally use a mortice lock when the property is occupied as you cannot open it in an emergency without the key.

Removing the key from the key safe when you go out is not enough - you don't know if someone has temporarily removed the key and taken an imprint to make a copy whilst you were in. Another problem with removing the key is that you might forget to replace the key when you get home, rendering the key safe useless.
    Last edited by Flymo; 16-01-15 at 12:10.

I had an assessment from my county council and they said I could have a key in a box outside but in the end I got them to fit a door entry system for my bungalow which I can see the person and let them in from bedroom and livingroom its fantastic.