Thread: The ever increasing disgusting effect of this internecine pantomime

The ever increasing disgusting effect of this internecine pantomime

Last edited by Jard; 15-01-15 at 01:09.

I disagree Jard with your assessment. Obviously, if you offer people more money to do another job they will move. I guarantee that if I said I was starting Toolook Private Doctors Ltd and was going to double the salary of each applicant based on what they earned now, I assume many, if not all the doctors from the NHS would apply to my business (assuming in this scenario I could take unlimited members of staff). It is basic capitalism. You can hardly blame ATOS/CAPITA for offering a higher wage compared to what paramedics earn now and an easier job. It raises a bigger question as to why paramedic wages are so low.

The real scandal here is that neither DWP nor the assessment providers seemed to have a realistic and deliverable plan for where all the ESA and PIP assessors would come from, considering the backlogs in both systems and the amount of reassessments waiting to be done. You can only subcontract with NHS and private providers if those providers can find the staff - subcontracting doesn't miraculously bring medical staff into being.

Now that things are so challenging, it is unsurprising that the assessment providers are taking increasingly desperate measures to attract medical staff, though I disagree with toolook that you can see this situation in purely capitalist terms. The majority of medical staff have been trained partly at NHS expense, also there is only so much capacity to train medics. Whilst trained staff should be free to work where they choose and there are staff who trained abroad coming to work in the UK, I believe some thought should be given to the social benefit of the employment opportunities for medical staff at public expense.

There is a desperate need for more PIP assessors, and this work has to be made sufficiently attractive to find staff. However, when many ambulance services are struggling to attract paramedics, it is questionable whether Capita offering higher salaries and better working hours to paramedics to be full time PIP assessors is in the broad public interest.

The government have agreements in place not to recruit medical professionals from certain countries that cannot sustain the financial burden of training their own nationals, only to then lose them to other countries. Return on investment is required. The government MUST consider the same, that if the NHS trains someone, they must pay for their training if they leave within x years of qualifying. The lack of qualified medical professionals to fill vacancies is not just down to atos et al, but also lack of funding for training places that are needed to meet future demand. Poor planning by every political party, its a problem for the next government to worry about.