Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Home

I'm Home

Complete with new knee. Painful but will get there eventually. Can't wait for a good nights sleep in my own bed.

Hi Marion I have been wondering how you were doing.
    Pleased it's all over with now for you, bet you are as well xx
    Sea Queen

Definitely SQ. Will take me a while to get back into the swing of things.

Hope you have a speedy recovery x

Glad you are home safe and sound, so much easier to adjust in your own home. You were in hospital for a long time compared to my TKR. I went in on the Friday morning before my op in the afternoon and they said I could go home on the Sunday.

Don't try to rush things and let other people help.

Thank you all. The problem is my lack of sense of balance as I fall regularly. There was talk of sending me to rehab as I am unsafe on crutches. In the end hubby borrowed some quad sticks from the hospital he works at and they have let me home using those, as the zimmer that they were insisting I use was not stable enough. I finally persuaded them to let me use my walker and the sticks in the house.
    They certainly hadn't given much thought to my mobility prior to the op.
    Struggling but managing, I will have to as hubby goes back to work on Monday and I will be dependant on my carer on and off throughout the day.

Hubby really is not much use as he does nothing but sleep at home and I often can't wake him.
    Another problem is my bed, it is so high I can't get onto it so he is going to have to try and get me one of those small kiddies step stools to help. If I could get comfortable in bed I would be tempted to stay there all day but that would not do me any good at all. I need to be up and moving about.
    The hospital forgot to prescribe me the quinine as well so the cramps are quite bad at the moment making matters worse. I rang the docs last night and there is a prescription at the chemists for me now so hopefully a better night's sleep tonight where I can lay down instead of sitting up all night.

Hoping he will stir out of the chair soon so I can get showered and dressed. Another battle to get upstairs as it is so swollen I can't get my foot back far enough to use the stairlift without catching the bannister, the sticks are too wide to go on the steps too so I can't get them up and down myself.

Welcome back Beau, keep exercising your leg to keep mobile.

You could ask social services if they could supply a step to make it easier to get into bed.

I'm taking mum into hospital today to have pins removed from her foot after having had a bunion removed. aThe 'pins' are 5 inches long and the nurse will just use a pair of pliers to pull them out - ouch!

Hope your recovery is speedy!

Quicker just to go out and buy a step as I will be waiting weeks for an assessment and my need is now not on a weeks time.

Welcome home, beau. I hope being home proves healing.

So far as the step goes, we got some perfectly decent folding steps from Dunelm for around £5 each (my mother is only five feet tall). They're not top quality, but they're sturdy enough. Unfortunately Dunelm don't seem to sell them any more, but the same thing appears to be available from Amazon.

You may well have sorted something by now - but I mention this for what it's worth.

Here's a sturdy non-slip box that can be dismantled or built up to a height that suits.
    And can be used in the bathroom too.
    http://www.co-operativeindependentli...ble-height-p59