Thread: Quick question about taking a holiday whilst on ESA and PIP

Quick question about taking a holiday whilst on ESA and PIP

I'm planning a long weekend away abroad and wondered if I need to inform the DWP? I'm currently on ESA support group and PIP higher rate daily living.

Id rather not phone or write a letter to say I'm going away for 4 days...don't want to open a can of worms..

Anybody had experience with taking a holiday while on these benefits?
    Last edited by skipper; 13-01-15 at 22:54.

Id say nothing, absolutely nothing and I wouldn't worry a jot, just have good time!!!

A friend of mine who recently flew out of Manchester said he'd seen posters plastered all over the airport, warning any holidaymakers claiming benefits - they must inform DWP of their holiday.

So long as the holiday isn't at odds with any of the ESA or PIP descriptors, as you answered them, then there shouldn't be a problem. However, if you have told them you suffer from vertigo, it might take a bit of explaining - if they start asking questions - unless you are going by boat. Seriously though, I don't believe going on a four day holiday abroad will be a problem, I'd inform them just to cover yourself.

Buster
    Last edited by buster21; 13-01-15 at 23:35.

Id still say nothing, the official line is you only need tell them if you're planning on being abroad for longer than four weeks.

I already learned my lesson regards opening cans of worms!!!

If that's the official line, then I guess what you are saying - sounds fair enough. I'm sure someone will be along to clarify the situation shortly. Anyway @Skipper - have a great holiday.

Thanks all.

So, just to be certain, does the 4 week rule (without needing to inform the DWP) definitely apply to ESA SG? I've read that's the case with PIP, though it seems a bit hazy when regards to ESA....

Good grief, you're just going away for a long weekend not emigrating to Australia!

Next we'l have to be asking permission to brush our teeth!

Just enjoy it and stop worrying!

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Thanks all.

So, just to be certain, does the 4 week rule (without needing to inform the DWP) definitely apply to ESA SG? I've read that's the case with PIP, though it seems a bit hazy when regards to ESA....
    I think you have that (4 week rule) wrong, I know someone who's benefit was stopped for not informing them of their whereabouts and they were away for just over a fortnight, they had to go to a Tribunal to get their benefit reinstated and it took many months.
    I believe you are obliged to tell them of your whereabouts even if only away from your place of residence for a day (24hrs), ' in case they need to contact you'. It is only a case of informing them not asking their permission.
    Last edited by Jard; 14-01-15 at 12:48.

Yes you can go abroad for upto 4 weeks and still claim ESA, doesn't matter what group or if it's CB or IR.

You are supposed to inform them, but you don't need their permission.

You can go for longer than 4 weeks (up to 26) if its for medical treatment for you or your child.
    You do need permission for that.

Heres a link to the relevant leaflet:
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the replies. I went to stay with family over Christmas and didn't give it a second thought. But using a passport has set alarm bells ringing.

Don't really want to inform them, but perhaps when your passport number gets used, it triggers something at the DWP.

How else would they know?