Thread: what is debt management/recovery re ESA

what is debt management/recovery re ESA

hi

i have today found out i have been placed in sg for 12 months (relieved is an understatement) but they said my case was with debt management department to see if i owe them money. is this normal? how could i have ended up owing them money? also so i dont have to create a new thread does any one know the difference between the assesment rate esa for under 25s and the sg rate so i can work out roughly the amount that im due as i know they have a habit of getting this wrong.

thanks for any help/advice

The referral to debt management might mean DWP believe there could be an old overpayment of benefit or a loan that they now want to recover. It could be a one-off Crisis Loan from years ago that was never paid back.

Unlike with civil debts, there is no time limit for recovery of money owed back to DWP or its predecessors.

Assuming you were on the assessment rate, the additional amount for being in the Support Group was £34.80 per week from April 2013 to April 2014, and is £35.75 per week from April 2014 onwards. It is paid from the 92nd day of the claim, so you do not receive this additional amount for the first 12 weeks of the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by maz100 View Post
    hi

i have today found out i have been placed in sg for 12 months (relieved is an understatement) but they said my case was with debt management department to see if i owe them money. is this normal? how could i have ended up owing them money? also so i dont have to create a new thread does any one know the difference between the assesment rate esa for under 25s and the sg rate so i can work out roughly the amount that im due as i know they have a habit of getting this wrong.

thanks for any help/advice
    Yes it is normal. I had the same thing done to me as well, even though I had never had dealings with the DWP or claimed anything before claiming ESA. The Debt Management Team calculates the backdated amount and at the same time checks if you owe them anything, according to my MP.