Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving home while on jsa

Moving home while on jsa

Ive read various posts but not one in my position.

I signed off jsa last week since i would be out of my area. I stayed with family and also went to see property in the same area.

I like the place i saw. Now since im still signed off and where i wanna live is up north (im down south) I dont know where to start. I am now not due to move for another 2weeks so in the mean time do i sign back on in my current area for the time being? How do i switch?

I also need to claim HB/CTB but obviously dont have the proof of income from jsa. How long will it take? Should i send my form in the post without the ID of course and bring it along when i move up there so i dont lose any benefit?

I'm pulling my hair out i'm sure their is more to say but cant think of it cos i'm so worried. I really dont know where to start

Please help.

Moving is not an issue, sign back on. You can easily switch offices when you move, & switch to claim HB & CTB at your new address. People move all the time, not usually as far as you are, but that is not a problem. You can claim while moving & after you move.

When you have moved you just inform your new local Job Centre, & the new Housing Benefit office of the changes. It may take slightly longer to sort out than a move across town, but it is easy to do. Every area has local Job Centres, you can call to find out which one you would be registered with, & the same for the Housing office or One Stop Centre.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

It just seems like a mind field for me. I live at home and about to go out on my own. Ive got the HB/ctb form asking questions i do not understand. For example: Who pays the rent?! I mean i asking for their help to pay said rent why ask such a question.

What worries me is if i sign back on say tomorrow, then what if my signing on day is my moving day? Its a headache.

They have to ask such questions as say for example you were living with someone so you would have to clarify the status of the rent payments. Some people may only be entilted to getting some money from them towards rent so they would not pay all the rent. It is a general form so you as a person on your own may find some questions to not apply to you or to be very obvious.
    Have you found out what rent allowance you may be entitled to?
    I moved just 5 miles from where i lived for about 6 years and my rent allowance was diffeent. For example ,i am not on the mainland so my rent allowance for my area would not be anywhere near the same as rent allowance would be for someone else with my exact same circumstances than it would be in say London or Newcastle upon tyne to give just two examples.
    So have you clarified rates with HB ofifce in the area you are moving to? I am just noting this because I have learnt through my own experences that it is wise to do these things in advance of moving.
    When i ,moved it took about 7 weeks for the HB to be sorted out. It took about the same time when i first applied for HB. I think it may differ depending on where you live.

7 weeks? That is a long time. Was your landlord OK with it and did they back pay you? This is what worries me.

My form says it takes 2 wks to get back to me. Maybe i should send the form off asap even though i cant send my personal ID through the post. But i still havent signed my tenancy agreement that is to happen the day i move in. I know it always says never delay claiming but when you dont have all the required info what are you to do?

It is actually easy, it just seems hard. They will help you fill it in if you want. Your signing on day will not be your moving day as you can arrange the day you move.

Your landlord will wait, they are use to this time. They will know they will get the rent. The only time they will raise it is if it took months. You can put the clain in, but they will not decide without all the proof they request. Wait until you can provide that. Are they asking for the original ID or a copy?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

If the landlord is a private one they will more than likely want a months rent in advance and/or a security deposit. Private landlords I'm afraid aren't well known for 'waiting' for rent until HB kicks in! Don't forget that these days HB new claims are paid to the tenant - not the landlord. So unfortunately anyone in this situation of setting up house on their own for the first time really needs to have at least the equivalent of 2 months rent in cash to be on the safe side, even though HB, once processed, is backdated.
    A claim shouldn't be delayed either. Local Authorities can refuse to backdate HB if claims are made around 2 weeks after the date on which the tenancy agreement takes effect (which isn't always the moving date.)
    But - help with deposits and some other costs of moving which can cause financial hardship can be made under a seperate scheme from HB. Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are administered by Local Authorities to cover these extra costs. Funding is provided by the government. As the name suggests the payments ARE 'discretionary' so although the LA's have a list of standard circumstances which they can cover with DHPs it can be worth applying even if you don't think you will qualify for help.

This can also be very true C.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

The first time i rented from a private landlord it was all new to me aas I had to give up a job etc... due ongoing to illness and until then I had never had HB .Anyway, the landlord was understanding of my situation and yes he did get it back dated. i did not get all the rent paid by HB and so i had to each month make up the difference which i paid directly to the landlord. I was in that house for about 5 years.
    I then moved 5 miles out of the town to a new property with private landlord. This new area change brought me into a different rent allowance and thankfully it was not too different considering it was only 5 miles out the road.
    The landlord would not however wait and I had to pay as someone has noted above. At the time of moving in i had to pay 1 months rent in advance and 1 months rent for a deposit. However when the first month was up i then had to pay another months rent as the HB was not sorted out. I would suugest you ask the landlord before you move where you stand on this. Even though they know they will get it many private lanldords do insist you pay until HB is sorted. There is no requirement for them to wait on HB coming through so thyy are quite within their rights to ask you to pay until your HB claim is sorted out and from my own experience and from others i know this is often the case.
    As i noted n my previous reply to you, the rent allowance can differ greatly depending on the area you are in so there is not just one rent allowance for single people living alone across the country it can vary greatly.
    You own personal circumstances will also be taken into consideration. For me ,i am a disabled person etc.. so my circumstances might be very different from yours but you would need to clarify in advance of moving with HB what allowance you will get. I get HB allowance but i also have to make the rent up myself which i pay to my landlord each month through my bank so it goes directly into his account on the same day each month and it is the same day that HB pay him.

The second time i moved

I am so glad i found this website. You have put my mind at rest. Thank you all for your help.

Good news i have reapplied for JSA got an appointment tomorrow.
    I have checked the LHA it covers my rent thankfully.
    Just have to sort out moving, HB & CTB claim and thats it plus a few other minor things.