Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bye bye, Laptop!

The progress of mobile technology is amazing.

My mobile phone is:
    • a phone
    • a video conferencing device
    • the way I use social media (when I'm strong enough - I've not had the strength for Facebook recently)
    • the satellite navigation system for my car
    • my electronic book reader (complete with the ability to borrow e-books from the local library online for free)
    • a web browser (on which I write many of my forum replies)
    • my music library
    • my radio (over the Internet)
    • the remote control for my Virgin TV box
    • my notepad
    • my diary
    • my alarm clock
    • my contact book
    • my way of accessing pertinent weather information
    • my camera
    • a way of access my bank on the move, as well as my accounts (kept in Moneydance)
    • the way I watch some recent TV programmes (BBC iPlayer etc.)
    • the primary way I connect my laptop to the Internet when away from home
    • and many more things besides

I am sure that other people could add lots more to this list.

There are some very good value tablets available new for not much more than £100, such as the Tesco Hudl 2 I mentioned. I had my hands briefly on my niece's tablet and was impressed with it as a device.

I don't have a tablet personally as I see no need - my phone has one of the largest screens for a phone and my laptop is a Tablet PC (rather like a Microsoft Surface, but without the ability to remove the screen as a separate tablet).

I'm no great fan of technology for technology's sake, though I am a former software engineer. For me, the biggest interest is in what technology can do. Without the technology I have, I wouldn't have been able to start my law degree - technology is a great enabler for many people with physical disabilities.

Before using a mobile phone for tethering best make sure your contract allows it. Some don't. When I had mobile broadband via a dongle for my laptop, I did look into whether I could use my mobile to tether as I had unlimited internet access but it was forbidden on the plan I had.

Thanks for the replies.

I would be using my home wifi for any streaming and internet and such. It's worth having a look about and maybe asking a salesperson what does what, a lot of things go right over my head, but my basic wants are online use like shopping and online streaming of tennis.
    I'll have a look as it's easier to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    my basic wants are online use like shopping and online streaming of tennis.
    The key question is what services carry the tennis you want to watch. Is it, for example, on Eurosport, BT Sport, Sky Sports, or another provider? If it's on a pay TV provider, do you already subscribe to that service on another platform, such as a satellite, cable or a streaming service you watch through your laptop?

Once you know what services carry the content you want to watch, you can then check what apps are available to access that service.

To give an example, we subscribe to Virgin's TiVo service with the XL package but no Sky Movies or Sky Sports. This means I can watch many of the channels in the Virgin package at no extra cost on my Android smartphone using the free Virgin TV Anywhere app. The Virgin app allows me to watch all the British Eurosport and BT Sport channels on my phone. I could watch all the Sky Sports channels on my phone if our Virgin subscription included them.

The only sports channels on the Virgin system that I cannot watch on the phone, even if I subscribed to them on Virgin's TV service, are MUTV, At The Races, Racing UK, LFC TV, Motors TV and Box Nation. The HD channels are all excluded, but that is because Virgin TV Anywhere streams in SD quality only - so I can watch BT Sport 1 but not BT Sport 1 HD.

If you are a Sky TV customer, the Sky Go app offers a similar service to Virgin TV Anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    The key question is what services carry the tennis you want to watch. Is it, for example, on Eurosport, BT Sport, Sky Sports, or another provider? If it's on a pay TV provider, do you already subscribe to that service on another platform, such as a satellite, cable or a streaming service you watch through your laptop?

Once you know what services carry the content you want to watch, you can then check what apps are available to access that service.

To give an example, we subscribe to Virgin's TiVo service with the XL package but no Sky Movies or Sky Sports. This means I can watch many of the channels in the Virgin package at no extra cost on my Android smartphone using the free Virgin TV Anywhere app. The Virgin app allows me to watch all the British Eurosport and BT Sport channels on my phone. I could watch all the Sky Sports channels on my phone if our Virgin subscription included them.

The only sports channels on the Virgin system that I cannot watch on the phone, even if I subscribed to them on Virgin's TV service, are MUTV, At The Races, Racing UK, LFC TV, Motors TV and Box Nation. The HD channels are all excluded, but that is because Virgin TV Anywhere streams in SD quality only - so I can watch BT Sport 1 but not BT Sport 1 HD.

If you are a Sky TV customer, the Sky Go app offers a similar service to Virgin TV Anywhere.
    Well I watch on the tv like Eurosport or BT sport if it's on them sites, however the streaming I do if from online websites, so I don't think there is an app for those sites as they are online only I think and not from the sky sports player or eurosport player.