Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye, Laptop!

You don't have to plug anything in; a Mi-Fi device works via transmitting a Wifi signal. Therefore your ipad will detect the connection, you then enter a password - and then your'e good to go. Great device for taking camping - if you like that kind of thing.

So, you DO have to pay for the signal either PAYG or contract.

It's a version of the USB dongle for devices that don't have a USB.
    Last edited by WeDesign; 08-01-15 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerangelx View Post
    I've been saving up and got myself a second-hand iPad 4. It now means I can delete most of the apps on my phone and use it as a phone without eating the battery life up.
    Flower angel, looks like you've intrigued fellow iPad followers with your set up.

From what I can gather you've got an Apple iPad 4th generation. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP662?vi...B&locale=en_GB

The model is either
    a- wi-fi only or
    b - wi -fi and Cellular

You can gain access to the internet with both but with option 'b' you'll be paying a monthly contract

I use a SIM only deal with an iPhone but don't use much data as I log into free wi-fi hot spots. I even log into my home broadband via the router so I don't use any data on the phone.

Flower angel, can your iPad connect to your home broadband via its router?

On another note for tech heads . . .
    If you own an iPhone which is connected to an ISP via 4G. Could an iPad wi-fi only unit connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth and connect to the internet via the iPhone's connection if no wi-fi hotspots were about.

All answers on the back of an envelope please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Flower angel, looks like you've intrigued fellow iPad followers with your set up.

From what I can gather you've got an Apple iPad 4th generation. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP662?vi...B&locale=en_GB

The model is either
    a- wi-fi only or
    b - wi -fi and Cellular

You can gain access to the internet with both but with option 'b' you'll be paying a monthly contract

I use a SIM only deal with an iPhone but don't use much data as I log into free wi-fi hot spots. I even log into my home broadband via the router so I don't use any data on the phone.

Flower angel, can your iPad connect to your home broadband via its router?

On another note for tech heads . . .
    If you own an iPhone which is connected to an ISP via 4G. Could an iPad wi-fi only unit connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth and connect to the internet via the iPhone's connection if no wi-fi hotspots were about.

All answers on the back of an envelope please!!
    Lighttouch, yes you can. i did this a few weeks ago whilst staying in a budget hotel, didn't want to pay Wifi fees. I don't own an iphone but set my daughter's iphone to do just this. We did a quick Google search for instructions - and hey presto - even I got it to work. You go to the iphone settings then personal hotspots, a bit fiddly for me as I'm not that familiar with the iphone but not too taxing. As an aside, I also conected my laptop at the same time using the same method, however, it ate-up the data fairly quickly.

Buster

I'm interested in maybe getting an ipad, I've always been a fan of a pc or laptop, but it's easier to carry.

One question, can you stream live sports on it? I'm a bit of a tennis fan and watch it on streaming, but I heard that you can't do that on ipads.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I'm interested in maybe getting an ipad, I've always been a fan of a pc or laptop, but it's easier to carry.

One question, can you stream live sports on it? I'm a bit of a tennis fan and watch it on streaming, but I heard that you can't do that on ipads.

Thanks.
    Birdwatcher, sure you can stream movies and TV programmes.

What you really need is a fast internet connection otherwise the film will stop and start 'buffeting'.

I can watch VirginMedia TV and Netflix, BBC News, OnDemand, iPlayer etc even on my iPhone but it will use a lot of data unless you have a package allowing unlimited data.

I stream films to my Applemac or music videos from 'Spotify'.

I run my iPhone of my home wi-fi via the computers router. As I have 152Mbs internet connectivity there's never any trace of buffeting as streaming takes seconds.

You won't go wrong with an iPad in my opinion.

If you want to watch streaming media on a smartphone or tablet, it is best to check that there is an app available for the service you wish to use on the platform that you want to buy. For example, I have an Android smartphone, so I can use any service that has an app suitable for my phone and where I have an account - including Spotify, Virgin TV Anywhere and the apps from the terrestrial broadcasters.

Apart from Apple's own services, most services have apps for Android and iOS (Apple). If you choose another platform, such as Blackberry or Windows, you will have fewer services to choose from.

Android devices are typically cheaper than Apple and can be very good value for money. Unfortunately, Android is a somewhat fragmented platform, with many manufacturers customising their devices.

Some Android device ranges do not include the proprietary Google apps for licensing reasons, so you cannot use the Google Play app store and don't have access to the Google Maps, YouTube or Google Search apps (needed for the "OK Google" voice commands). The most notable range that excludes the proprietary Google apps are the Amazon Kindle Fire tablets and Kindle phone devices.

My niece got a Tesco Hudl 2 for Christmas, which does have the proprietary Google apps (including Google Play) and seemed a fairly decent tablet for £129.

Streaming HD video doesn't need tremendous broadband speed - 6Mbps is usually enough, so long as your connection can manage that speed consistently. A 6Mbps connection with others using it at the same time, or where there is congestion between you and the Internet, will struggle. You certainly don't need 152Mbps Virgin broadband for streaming.

Streaming video gobbles up mobile broadband data allowances. 10GBytes per month (available SIM only on Three for £15/month, with a 30 day notice period to quit) will soon be used up if you watch a lot of streaming video.

Yes 64mb should be fast enough to stream successfully. I negotiated 152Mb with Virginmedia but only pay the lower band cost. You never get what you never ask for! My SIM only deal with EE is £11.50 a month for unlimited calls/texts, 2Mb of data and free 084 numbers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Yes - that's what is typically called tethering over Wi-Fi. It's possible with any almost any modern smartphone or tablet that has cellular hardware. You have to be careful, as some networks disable tethering on the devices they sell and only re-enable it for people who pay an extra monthly fee (though this behaviour is more typical in the US than the UK).

Some UK mobile networks restrict the use of data bundles included on phone contracts. These networks typically notice if you put a phone SIM in a data device like a mobile Wi-Fi router ("Mi-Fi" or similar) or tablet, but it's much harder for them to detect Wi-Fi tethering on a phone.

I am heavily dependant on mobile data as my studies require access to the Internet. All the library resources are online, as is much of the university's own content. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 that I bought SIM free on a Vodafone 4G SIM only contract, which I can switch to "Wi-Fi Hotspot" mode for tethering other devices.

I found one network was insufficient for reasonable coverage in all the places where I go regularly, so I have a SIM only mobile broadband contract on Three. That SIM is in a mobile Wi-Fi router that I bought SIM free (it worked out cheaper that way, also I can change network at will), so I have two different options for mobile data via Wi-Fi. The place we usually go on holiday has appalling Vodafone coverage, but excellent DC-HSPA Three coverage. It's so out of the way that I don't expect any 4G coverage for several years on any network - there's many more densely populated areas for the network operators to target first.

For a further backup, also to get access to some O2 only offers, I have an O2 pre pay SIM taped inside the back cover of my phone.

I don't have an EE SIM. I know their coverage is typically very good, but I couldn't justify their prices.

I used to have a Boingo UK subscription, which is a service that offers you unlimited use of Wi-Fi hotspots run by several providers. Unfortunately, one provider that was important to me stopped partnering with Boingo, also I found many subscription Wi-Fi hotspots were very low bandwidth. I found that the two mobile based options were sufficient, so I cancelled my Boingo subscription.

really interesting discussion as i dont know anything about tablets or technology. i have always been put off buying one because i dont know what to buy or whats best value for money, or how to join things like cloud or how it even works, so yeah very interesting