Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: had no money so made my own

had no money so made my own

I literally had no money to buy xmas presents for my family and my friend. I saved up to buy a cheap tablet for my grandson but that is literally all i could buy. It really upset me as im not a mean person and i quite like christmas. The day before yestrday i decided to stop crying about it and swung into action. I went in shed to find my old sewing machine and i raided my jewellery box.
    Out of an old but lovely oilcloth tablecloth and bed sheet i made 4 shopping bags. Out of pillow cases and tablemats i made 4 purses. I made little bottle pendants and filled them with lavender. I made little buntings from an old dress and garden rope. I made a couple of fruit bowls by melting a few old records.
    Im exhausted and just fell into bed. The needle broke on my sewing machine it been so busy lol.
    Id love to post photos to show you what i made but i cant see an option to post photos.
    I got lovely presents for my family and i didnt spend a penny ?
    next year i will be better off but i think i will still make my own presents.
    Did anyone else make presents?
    Hope everyone has a peaceful and happy day tommorow.

Well done Sandy. For me personally, things that have been handcrafted especially for me mean much more to me than anything money can buy. I treasure those sort of gifts and even when they have no further use or are worn out I still keep them.

i cant see an option to post photos.
    Its quite easy if the photos are on your computer.

Look at the 'quick reply' box and you will see a row of icons at the top.
    The third one in from the right is the 'Insert Image' icon. (If you pace your pointer over it is tells you this).
    Click on this and a box pops up.
    Click on 'From Computer', click on 'Browse'.
    Another window opens where you browse to you photo and select it, then click on 'Open'.
    You get taken back to the first box, click on 'Upload File(s)'.
    Job done; your photo gets loaded into the reply box at the cursor position.
    (It wont show as a photo in the editor it will say something like: "ATTACH=CONFIG]1176[/ATTACH]" but shows up in the post itself).

Just like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ct22843.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	1176
    Last edited by nukecad; 25-12-14 at 13:16.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Presents made with true love, what could be better than that.

Merry Christmas
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

It's great to hear of your creativity, Sandy. The value of a present is measured primarily in love, not financial cost/value.

aw thank you all. Everyone really liked my gifts and didnt even believe they were home made. Some who didnt get a shopping bag really want one. iv had a lovely day and i visit thee tonight from my brand new laptop from my brother and sister in law. The big screen is amazing. i will try and post the photos of presents i made as desperate to show them off lol. i have to go back on my phone to do that. Hope you all had a lovely day today. I did. xx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141224_203920.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	1178 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141224_204057.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	1179 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141224_215538.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	1180 some of the gifts i made recycling household items.

I made a lot of xmas pressies this year. Jewellery for all my female friends. My only regret was not able to get my son, men are so TRICKY to buy for! So i failed there. And my shopping time is limited to when I can get a carer/assistant to accompany me.

Well, I think whoever received a hand made gift should feel very honoured.

I took my mother to visit her sister and my cousins with youngsters. It's the first Christmas I've had after both my dad and sister passed away.

Luckily, time passed quickly as the family is a bit rowdy. The Aldi Christmas Pud and brandy sauce was delicious!!

We had an Aldi economy Christmas pudding and it was moist and delicious. I think it was 99 pence for a standard size. Why pay more just for a name?
    For the last 3 years we have had large well known ones that I bought all those years ago at 3 for a £1 in our local Job Lot. As they keep very well it didn't matter how long I had them.