Thread: How long is the delay between PIP1 sent and PIP2 arriving?

How long is the delay between PIP1 sent and PIP2 arriving?

A family member sent off a PIP1 form about two months ago and hasn't received any response yet. Is this normal? What is the average time frame between them receiving a PIP1 form and sending out the PIP2 form?

I would encourage your family member (or someone on their behalf) to contact the PIP helpdesk. The PIP2 is normally sent out fairly quickly after starting a PIP claim, though most PIP claims are started over the phone rather than with a paper PIP1.

Is there any proof that DWP received the PIP1, or was it returned by untracked mail?

As Flymo says most PIP claims are started over the phone and they do say that a postal application will take longer to process.

After two months though I would be contacting them to find out what is happening.

I assume that a postal application was made because the family member is not comfortable on the phone or has no phone?
    Could you make a call for them?
    You will be restricted as to what information you can get as you are not the claimant or their nominated representative, but you should be able to find out if the PIP1 has been recieved and is being processed.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    As Flymo says most PIP claims are started over the phone and they do say that a postal application will take longer to process.

After two months though I would be contacting them to find out what is happening.

I assume that a postal application was made because the family member is not comfortable on the phone or has no phone?
    Could you make a call for them?
    You will be restricted as to what information you can get as you are not the claimant or their nominated representative, but you should be able to find out if the PIP1 has been recieved and is being processed.
    Yes a paper PIP1 was requested. I will let her know that she needs to ring them to find out what is going on. The PIP1 was not sent by recorded delivery or anything

It's a shame the PIP1 wasn't sent via a trackable delivery method, as PIP can only be awarded from the date DWP became aware of the claim. If the PIP1 was lost, it might be impossible for an award to be backdated to any earlier than the date DWP receive a telephone claim or a new PIP1.

In other words, failing to send the PIP1 via a trackable delivery method might result in the loss of two months of PIP.