Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice re taking mobility scooter to work

Thought I'd give an update on this.

I have now been given permission to bring my scooter into the office and my managers have made space for it (I've actually moved offices since I originally posted and now would be unable to walk from car to office without the scooter or from shopmobility - where I've been storing my scooter - to the office). I have a new manager and she had a chat with the buildings manager and initially got the same response but she didn't let it go and asked why not. It turns out there were lots of misunderstandings and the buildings manager, apparently, asked lots of dumb questions such as why did I not use an electric wheelchair etc. (and which my manager seems to have answered very well - instead of explaining why she basically said it was none of her business to pry into why I used a specific mobility aid) and it turned out she didn't have any real objections and did not know how small my scooter was. It has now also been agreed that the buildings management are going to make alterations to the doors so that I can get through them easier, although I'll believe that when it happens. The buildings manager admitted that at this location they had simply never needed to make these sort of adaptations for disabled employees. So I'm a trail blazer!!

Seems like your new manager is very disability aware, all to the good. Hope you get the alterations done soon.

Automatic opening doors. These can be quite expensive so self refer to Access to Work who can pay for the work needed.
    https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/how-to-claim

LT - Access to work will not pay for adaptations to doors - I've been on the phone to them only last week and was informed this is employer's responsibility and not something they would contribute towards.

As far as the internal doors go apparently they can easily fix something that will keep them open all the time but they will close if the fire alarm goes off. external doors into the building are a bit more awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    As far as the internal doors go apparently they can easily fix something that will keep them open all the time but they will close if the fire alarm goes off. external doors into the building are a bit more awkward.
    Corridor doors are usually fire doors on pneumatic openers that need electricity to work. When a fire bell goes off the electric is cut to the magnets keeping the doors open. Now the problem starts as power has been cut - you have to open the doors by hand.

Now the heavy duty fire doors will weigh three times as much as the compressed air n the cylinders can't escape and holds the doors shut - catch 22.