Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sitting on the sideline - off topic

Don't forget to look after yourself. It causes all sorts of problems down the line if you don't eat etc. my thoughts and best wishes are with you and your mum. Sleep well.

She's critical but stable and been advised she was sedated beyond a normal time period i.e. 14 hours - there could be brain damage.

Normally they would keep her in the High Dependency Unit for 3-5 days. This is now extended to 5-7 days.

Only saw her for 15mins, that was hard work. You have to ring them from outside, someone came and opened the door and checked my 'credentials'. Took me inside and as soon as I saw my mother burst into tears. She opened her eyes for a moment, then I sat next to her holding her hand and stroked her face.

Bless - she seemed to think they started the surgery and couldn't do anything and thought it was yesterday. I tried to explain the operation went ahead but a little longer than anticipated. She dozed on and off, I spoke with a duty doctor to try and find out the prognosis, been advised to arrange an appointment through the consultants secretary to get further information. I rang the number and left a message. Tomorrow's Saturday so doubt I'll find out anything until Monday.

Good news, considering they said she could have brain damage, she knew it was me, smiled and we both had time to say I love you to each other.

xx - shattered off to bed in a few minutes.

Your mum sounds like a tough cookie and a fighter. She's in good hands - during the week.

Try to be there on Sunday after 12 noon as hospitals are very short staffed at weekends and they have a 'clear beds' policy on Sundays ready for new patients on Monday! But you didn't hear it from me.

Sending hugs. Please remember to look after yourself too and get some rest. Easier said than done with such a huge worry on your shoulders. Wishing your mum a good recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyp196 View Post
    thank god your mum has made it through. i only came on here this evening to check if she had. so pleased and sorry she has had such a hard time. yeah cancer treatments and care are a minefield of confusing info and treatments. i still feel traumatised having witnessed first hand what my best friend suffered and how difficult it was to get proper care and money for a terminal diagnosis. It was like she was written off from day one. i spent many a day at the hospital shouting at people to care for her and make her feel worth something as a human being!
    As you say 'human being'.

Exhausted. Went to visit Sunday, drove home after visiting hours 4pm. Got through my front door, had a meal, my phone rang. Can you come back. It's an hour each way. Back to the hospital.

The staff asked if I could stay the night to keep mum calm. She's sure they are conspiring and testing experimental drugs on her.

Returned and got there about 6.30pm'ish (can't quite remember). They have no beds and only five beds in the High Dependency Unit (you can only access by phone).

No beds, just a pillow and blanket and NO chairs within the HDU. Two staff per patient.

Spent part of the night in room with her on a make-do chair, then sleeping in the visitors waiting room (outside - HDU). Midnight I asked if she was okay for me to return home for a few hours.

Off home, showered, tracksuit and cup of tea. Returned earlier today. Home again now.

She's doing fine and all going well, so off to bed now, just in case another call comes.

Lighttouch - the HDU - only 5 beds and 10 nurses and two doctors. No chance of being short staffed on this ward. Entry is purely by invite or extreme circumstances. I have to admit I have been impressed the nurses sit in front of each bed, taking it in turns with another - they actually never leave a single patient unattended, only leave when another nurse arrives. The other nurse then gets supplies or answers the phone or door entry system.

{{{{Amy}}}} - it sounds like a combination of all the medication, your mum's weakness and the disorientating surroundings are leading to the hallucinations.

Take very good care of yourself, trying to remember that you are no use to anyone else if you cannot look after your own basic needs.

You and your mum remain in my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    Lighttouch - the HDU - only 5 beds and 10 nurses and two doctors. No chance of being short staffed on this ward. Entry is purely by invite or extreme circumstances. I have to admit I have been impressed the nurses sit in front of each bed, taking it in turns with another - they actually never leave a single patient unattended, only leave when another nurse arrives. The other nurse then gets supplies or answers the phone or door entry system.
    As a patient I would have been in high dependency wards but while still knocked out. And they don't usually let the public in those areas.

The fact it's Monday is good news. Another thing that will give you a clue how well your mum is doing is the bed position. The further from the nurses room the better. How is she taking nourishment - is she still on a saline drip?

I stayed with my dad for many hours but the nurses would tell me to go home. Amy you need your rest too. Sleep tight.

Amy I have only just picked up this thread. Sending hugs and hoping your mum continues to improve. xx
    Sea Queen

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your words - been at my wits end.

Food is through a tube - just nutrition into her neck and her wrist (white liquid), with all the tubes and monitors - eek I think there are ten computers behind her, tubes are blood pressure, oxygen in, oxygen levels, drains from wounds, antibiotics, heart rate, epidural, catheter, pain killers etc.

Visiting hours - they are only guidelines - the fact they rang me to come back it supersedes any sign on the outer door.

Felt she was safe (figuratively speaking) and gave her a mobile - to dispel the myths they are conspiring against her (asked the staff first). Got a call last night, please get me out of here - I want to die at home

I asked about sedation - they can't as she was already over sedated during the surgery and they need to get her mobile/circulation.

On the positive side, she's now able to communicate more effectively - even if it can be a mix of being coherent and garbled.

They want to move her now from HDU to recovery - in recovery they still have 1:1 as opposed to a surgical ward which is about 3 patients to one nurse.

I'm going back later with my brother.