Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vat exemption on repairs and maintenance of adapted vehicles

kenjan

vat exemption on repairs and maintenance of adapted vehicles

My first post here and I'm hoping someone can help.
    I've been told that vat exemption on repairs of adapted vehicles is not applicable on vehicles purchased after the lease expires. Could this be true, and, if so, why? It just doesn't make sense.

Not according to this:
    https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief

As long as both the product and your disability qualify then:
    It says that if your disability qualifies then as long as the product is adapted "for your own personal or domestic use" you wont be charged VAT for "repairs or maintenance" for "Motor vehicles - or the leasing of a motability vehicle".

Of course if a motability vehicle is purchased by someone other than the original motability leaseholder then this would not apply; even if they could also prove that they have a qualifying disability the adaptations would not have been made for their personal use.

I'm sure others will be along with more informed advice about this.

kenjan
    Thanks for the reply. The problem is though that, even when I refer them to this website and quote it, they still insist that it doesn't apply to vehicles previously owned by Motability. Even the tax office themselves have said this, although I did get the impression that the man there didn't seem to know much on the subject.

The only VAT exemption for repairs and maintenance of a motor vehicle used by a disabled person is for vehicles supplied under the exemption detailed in VAT Notice 1615 that remain with the original owner.

Unless you are an eligible wheelchair user who bought an adapted vehicle from the leasing company at the end of the lease, you will have to pay VAT on repairs and maintenance.

If you have any questions, the contact details for HMRC's VAT Disabled Reliefs Team are in VAT Notice 1615.

kenjan
    Yes, I am an eligible wheelchair user and did buy the vehicle at the end of the lease, so I reckon that the Ford dealership I deal with must be wrong on this one. Trouble is trying to convince them. I can't find any information anywhere to support what they are saying. Thanks for your replies.

kenjan
    And, another thing, I did speak to Motability about it and they were no help either. They just spoke to my garage about it then they came back to me and said that they were right.

Check the paperwork when you bought the vehicle from Motability. Does it show any VAT being paid, or does it show the vehicle being sold at zero VAT? Unless the vehicle was sold to you zero rated, I think there's no chance of zero rated repairs and maintenance.

Have a read though VAT Notice 1615 (the coloured text in my previous post is a link) and see what you think. Ultimately, I'd give HMRC a ring with the paperwork relating to the sale of the car to you in front of you.

I do think that the garage and Motability are right.

I believe that this exemption only applies when you purchase the adapted vehicle with zero rated VAT applied and that you are the first owner, in this instance you are the second owner.

It may be worth writing a letter to the HMRC or perhaps involving your local MP to get a definitive answer?
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

kenjan
    So does this mean that I paid vat when I bought the car from motability? I didn't receive an itemised receipt so I can't tell.

A quick look on the .Gov website suggests that a Motability car is bought (by Motability) VAT free but it doesn't actually matter in your case as you are still the second owner of the vehicle.
    Motability are the first owners.

As detailed in VAT Notice 1615 the exemption remains with the original owner (Motability) and not any subsequent owners.
    Last edited by Paul; 27-11-14 at 22:18.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs