Thread: DLA info

DLA info

Hi all,

first post here. I'm hoping you guys put me on the right path.

In applying for DLA:

1) Should I ask my counsellor and occupational therapist for a letter to back up my claim? Or will the DWP do that anyways?

2) I'm in the ESA support group. Should I ask for a copy of my medical report from the ESA to send with my DLA claim, or will the DWP already have that information?

3) Are there any places I can go to get help filling in the DLA form? I live in Northern Ireland.

Thanks,

Jayne

On the mainland DLA has been replaced by PIP for new claims.

However I note that you are in Northern Ireland and the rules are different there.
    I am not sure of the current timetable for introduction of PIP in Northern Ireland, it depends on the passage of the Welfare Reform Bill which is currently stalled in the NI parliament.

There is plenty of advice on this website about claiming PIP and I'm sure that someone can help with a DLA claim; but as most of us live on the mainland I would suggest that you also contact a local advice provider who will be more familiar with the DLA/PIP situation in Northern Ireland.

Try looking here for advice specific to NI.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/benefits_ni.htm

This may be of help too
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    On the mainland DLA has been replaced by PIP for new claims.

However I note that you are in Northern Ireland and the rules are different there.
    I am not sure of the current timetable for introduction of PIP in Northern Ireland, it depends on the passage of the Welfare Reform Bill which is currently stalled in the NI parliament.

There is plenty of advice on this website about claiming PIP and I'm sure that someone can help with a DLA claim; but as most of us live on the mainland I would suggest that you also contact a local advice provider who will be more familiar with the DLA/PIP situation in Northern Ireland.

Try looking here for advice specific to NI.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/benefits_ni.htm

This may be of help too
    http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/benefits-adviser
    Thank you for the advice.

Is there anyone that can help with DLA? It would be appreciated.

As nukecad has noted, Northern Ireland has yet to start moving over to PIP, though the intention is still that Northern Ireland will move to the same PIP system as the rest of the UK.

In Northern Ireland, it's the Department for Social Development, not the DWP.

DLA uses much more abstract legal tests that ESA or PIP, also it is not points scored. When attempting to understand DLA, it is important to use some sort of guidance that explains the meaning ascribed to words like "frequent" by case law, as that will help you to understand the DLA criteria.

It's really down to you to put across the case that you qualify for the award of benefit. It's possible DSDNI will seek reports from your counsellor and OT, but if there are relevant matters that you want before the decision maker it is best to get letters from these people and send copies with your claim.

You can obtain your ESA medical report, but it is likely to be of relatively little assistance. The DLA decision maker will reach their own decision on all relevant matters - they are not bound by anything in your ESA assessment report or decision. ESA is specifically about a work context, whereas DLA is about the whole of life.

There will be advice centres like Citizen's Advice in Northern Ireland - if you have one of those, or some sort of disability advice centre, I'd ask there for help.

There will be advice centres like Citizen's Advice in Northern Ireland - if you have one of those, or some sort of disability advice centre, I'd ask there for help.
    Yes, that first link I gave is for CAB in Northern Ireland.