Thread: PIP and Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

PIP and Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

Under recent changes to Special Educational Needs provision, Statements of Special Educational needs are being phased out and replaced with EHCP's, these will be used to guide professionals until a young person reaches the age of 25.

My query is, currently, when applying for DLA or PIP for a young person, the parent or appointee can submit a young person's Statement of Special Educational Needs as evidence to back up the claim, IF IT IS GOING TO HELP WITH THE CLAIM; however, this is voluntary.

However, under the new system of ECHP's I have read somewhere it is being proposed that EHCP's are going to be linked directly to a young person's claim for future disability benefits, the government's intention is that this will happen automatically (joined up information gathering, ie surveillance), without the young person or parent or appointee having a choice in the matter, even though the ECHP may well paint an overly positive picture of a young person's day to day struggles with ill health or disabilities. Therefore, it is likely that some young people, probably a large proportion, will be faced with an uphill struggle in accessing disability benefits in the not too distant future due to this new policy. Because the EHCP's will in effect stay with a young person until they reach 25, I suspect this could have devastating consequences for many families. Moreover, I wouldn't bet against this actually being an intended consequence of this new approach.

Therefore, is anybody able to tell me if they have heard anything about this change in policy and proposal? If so, please can you share it on in this forum, so families can prepare for what might be coming.

Also, do current up to date DLA and PIP forms mention anything about a request that claimants must submit a copy of a young person's ECHP? Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Buster
    Last edited by buster21; 23-11-14 at 17:06.

I was thinking sending my child ehcp with the claim highlights a lot her issues