Thread: Hoping someone could help me with PIP and ESA

Hoping someone could help me with PIP and ESA

Hello, I hope it's okay I post a new thread, this is my first time here!

My name is Sammy, and I suffer with OCD and Depression which makes me unable to work. I applied for ESA last September, and have yet to hear anything regarding an Assessment appointment. This wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest, had it not been for my dear dad passing away in January, leaving myself and my mum (who is also unable to work due to arthritis in her legs) in a dire financial situation. Needless to say the stress and worry over money, and whether we'll be able to feed ourselves the following week, does nothing for my depression and anxiety. But anyway, on a more hopeful note, I applied for PIP in July. After numerous phone calls made by my mum on my behalf, there seemed to be a little bit of a breakthrough 7 or so weeks ago. We were told that they had my form, and were gathering more information from my doctor and, I believe, the therapist I saw a year ago. Then a couple of weeks later, they told me they had all the information they needed and I was 'first on the computer'. Meaning, when an Assessment date became available, they would inform me. I suppose it sounds like I'm pretty much set, there's only one thing bothering me. It's been 5-6 weeks, and I still haven't heard anything. I know I must sound silly, because 5-6 weeks isn't a long time, but I suppose I'm quite desperate. So I was wondering, does anyone remember being told they were essentially 'first on the computer'? and if so, do you remember how long it took for the Assessment date to be settled? Because I'm worried that although they've basically told me it should be any day now, it might mean I'm still not going to hear anything for the next 2 or 3 months. And if I haven't heard anything by March, we'll be in serious trouble, because that's when my mum's bereavement benefit runs out.

Also, does anyone have any advice on what I should do with ESA? Coming up to 15 months, and I haven't heard a word from them!

I'm so sorry if it sounds like I'm worrying for absolutely no reason, I'm sure I will hear something from them soon enough, but it's just the waiting that is driving me insane, and making me quite ill. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

i have bipolar with ocd and agraphobia. The waiting is making me ill too. I cant help with your questions. im sure someone will. Just wanted to say hello and i understand what you mean about the waiting. x

Thank you for replying! It helps to know someone is going through the same thing, I hope it gets sorted for you soon, sweetheart!

There are long waits for ESA assessments in many parts of the country, but as you have heard nothing 15 months after claiming ESA, I think you've reached the point of needing to chase this up with DWP. Have you filled in an ESA50 questionnaire?

So far as PIP goes, it is possible that the assessment provider has been able to gather enough information to assess you without a face to face assessment. I would always take what you are told on the phone with a fair degree of caution, especially when it comes to dates and the like, but I think you've reached the point where it's worth enquiring again.

Once the assessment provider sends their report to DWP, it often takes 3-4 weeks for a decision to be made and notified. There are examples of things happening more quickly, but I have my doubts you'll get a PIP decision before the new year unless the assessment provider completes your report in the next 7-10 days. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I wouldn't want to give you false hope.

So far as your overall financial situation goes, I guess from your description that there may be some debts involved as well as struggling to meet your weekly bills. Obviously sorting your benefits will help, as will checking that your mum is claiming everything she is entitled to, but it sounds like there might be deeper financial problems dating back to your father's death if not before.

Have you asked anyone for debt related help, such as Citizen's Advice or StepChange? It's worth a go, especially if you are being pressured by creditors or are being crippled by debt repayments you cannot currently afford. Do not be tempted by those people who want to charge you for debt related advice, especially if they offer a seemingly magical solution to all your problems, as these typically involve paying a lot of money you cannot afford in fees for something that turns out not to deliver what was promised. Citizen's Advice and StepChange are both reputable organisations.

I'm sorry the wait for news about benefits is proving so demanding, Sammy. Most of us have been there and know what it is like. I send my best wishes, and hope you will find "love and joy" surrounding you despite the challenges that life brings.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice, Flymo! You've made me feel a lot better, and I will follow up with PIP, to see if they say anything new. Have a lovely day!