Thread: My ESA Situation - Some help please.

My ESA Situation - Some help please.

Hello everyone,

I applied for ESA in April 2013, It wasn't until February 2014 i had a medical with ATOS, Then on the 10th April 2014 i had my letter from the DWP saying i scored 0 points and lost my entitlement to ESA. I then applied for a Mandatory Reconsideration which they stuck to the original decision. During the time i was waiting for the Mandatory Reconsideration i was forced to claim Job Seekers Allowance, I then lodged my appeal to Tribunal and returned to the ESA on the assessment phase.

On 6th November 2014 my Tribunal was awarded in my favour and to be placed in the Support Group, Since then i have spoken to the DWP and they have said a decision maker looked at the Tribunal award on November 12th and has decided to accept the decision to place me in the Support Group.

The question i have is: With the backdated money, will they backdate me the Support Componant and the Enhanced Disability Premium to week 14 of my claim? My ESA is Income Related and being in the Support Group to my understanding i'm entitled to it. Its fantastic that its all over with but i'm just trying to get a bit of help with the backpay as i've made a rough calculation and i'm trying to simply make sure it matches with the payment i get from the DWP when they issue it to me.

Around the 9th April i claimed, so week 14 from my claim up until now based on my calculation works out just over £4000, Now that's a lot of money & that's calculating the weeks since week 14 & adding up the Support Componant & Enhanced Disability Premium.

I hope someone might be able to give me just a little bit more info on this,

Thank you.

im not really sure. i can only speak from my own experience. i also had to go tribunal for esa. i scored 8 on the assesment and 42 points in the tribunal. it took 10 months. i was placed in the care group. Back pay consisted of the difference between assessment / basic rate i was on in those 10 months, and what i should have been awarded, i.e esa care. There was no enhanced disability premium. i dont think im entitled to that as on low rate dla.

although i may be confusing it with severe disability premium...

Hi mejjo,

Yes the SG component and EDP will be backdated to day 92 of your claim.

Around £3.5 - 4K sounds about right.

Rough calculation - say your full award is £124 and your claim was start of April 2013.
    That would give roughly £51 / week for (84-13)=71 weeks = £3621.

Congrats, don't spend it all at once.