Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re Aids

LisaG

Question re Aids

Can any one advise me if it is worth mentioning to the assessor that I had to buy a walking stick due to my mobility issues? Would it make any difference? I got it as I have so much pain and poor balance so thought it would help with stopping me tripping over and alleviate some of the pain. It doesn't, so I don't bother with it too much. Any thoughts? Would it add to points, reduce them or not make any difference?

Thanks in advance.

If it doesn't actually help it probably isn't worth mentioning it as they may assume that it DOES help.

Also, not sure whether if you buy it off your own bat rather than being advised to use one by Doctor/Physio etc it would mean much.....don't know, but as anyone could buy one it probably wouldn't mean much and might confuse matters. Best to stick to the points that are validated by medical evidence, I think.

yes mention that you have used one found it to be no good for you, with an explanation as to how and why its no use.

as NN says they will assume you can use one, so mentioning it will take away that assumption.

I use a triwalker for my balance issues, it does help but I still fall although not as frequently as with a stick.

In my experience anything that you say re-aids they just ignore, bit like talking to the wind,(or doing something else in the wind ) Also be careful if you use a mobility aid such has a wheel chair, that's seen has a improvement in your condition, hey presto the guy can mobilise over xxx number of feet, I would say use it at the assessment and don't say anything about it .

Quote Originally Posted by LisaG View Post
    Can any one advise me if it is worth mentioning to the assessor that I had to buy a walking stick due to my mobility issues? Would it make any difference? I got it as I have so much pain and poor balance so thought it would help with stopping me tripping over and alleviate some of the pain. It doesn't, so I don't bother with it too much. Any thoughts? Would it add to points, reduce them or not make any difference?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't think it is worth mentioning as you'll be using it, almost stating the obvious, they'll be able to see it. Presume you already listed it on the form?

During my DLA Assessment was asked about my walking stick. Then again my transition from DLA to PIP the Assessor had already seen it.

Other's may have a different view.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    In my experience anything that you say re-aids they just ignore, bit like talking to the wind,(or doing something else in the wind ) Also be careful if you use a mobility aid such has a wheel chair, that's seen has a improvement in your condition, hey presto the guy can mobilise over xxx number of feet, I would say use it at the assessment and don't say anything about it .
    I believe that was under DLA, PIP have a different descriptor for using wheelchairs.

LisaG
    I got it in the hope it would assist me but it doesn't. I tend to hang off my husband when we go out. The stick is relegated to the corner now. Thanks for all your comments.

Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided.
    The criteria specifies that it doesnt matter whether or not you use an aid. It is whether you can stand up and cover the relevant distance aided or unaided.

Also be careful if you use a mobility aid such has a wheel chair, that's seen has a improvement in your condition, hey presto the guy can mobilise over xxx number of feet,
    If you need to use a wheelchair, you are not standing, therefore are unable to carry out the activity. That is if you need to use the wheelchair, not necessarily if you use the wheelchair by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaG View Post
    I got it in the hope it would assist me but it doesn't. I tend to hang off my husband when we go out. The stick is relegated to the corner now. Thanks for all your comments.
    Be sure to mention you can ONLY walk with the aid of another, if this is the case. If you trip and fall unaided then maybe you need to be referred to physio for the right sort of walking aids??