Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobility Scooters

Question Mobility Scooters

Hi from a new member.

Can anyone recommend a scooter that can be used in the rain please..

Thanks.

Sorry, the only scooters I use are when I hire them from Shopmobility. Someone is bound to come along and give you some advice. Good luck.

Because of the electronics the advice is not to use any in the rain. At times it is unavoidable. You can get covers that go over the top of the steering column. I use mine sometimes in the rain and have had no adverse effects up to present.

I use a small mobility scooter very day, I work so no have no choice about the time I'm outside etc. I live in Manchester, so we get the odd rainy day! My scooter has never had any problems with rain. The key has a kind of cover that protects the key hole from any drips - very standard key. I definitely avoid being out for a long time in heavy rain, mostly out of concern for me rather than my scooter. You will get wetter - you kind of protect the scooter,

As Beau says you can buy covers for the controls, I've never bothered. Manufacturers have to be cautious, but I honestly have never had any problems. My scooter has had daily use for nearly 6 years; that's a lot of rain if you live in Manchester. I think scooters are reasonably robust, certainly more so than they sound.

Or there's always Catlover's suggestion if you think you need something very weather proof!

You need to think about keeping yourself dry - legs get very wet when sat down.

You can use scooters and powerchairs in the rain. Just you end up with a large piece of kit and yourself filthy and wet! Fliss - waterproof trousers, from the local hiking shop. Wet bum not fun is it?
    The bit I'd be most concerned about is the battery.......I avoid torrential rain if I can. Also buses ramp become slippy in bad weather, making it hazardous getting on in the 1st place!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    Sorry, the only scooters I use are when I hire them from Shopmobility. Someone is bound to come along and give you some advice. Good luck.
    O.k. - thanks, I have tried ShopMobility , very good.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Because of the electronics the advice is not to use any in the rain. At times it is unavoidable. You can get covers that go over the top of the steering column. I use mine sometimes in the rain and have had no adverse effects up to present.
    Yes, so I have found out. I bought a 2GoAbility Zoom4, and it's great, but 2Go say not to take it out in the rain - unfortunately, the dog needs walking come rain or shine!

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    Wow? Now that's what I call a 'Scooter'!

I was wondering if spraying some 'car electrics' waterproofing spray might do the trick?