Thread: PIP help - 'engaging face to face'

PIP help - 'engaging face to face'

Hi,

I would like some advice on the PIP criteria for 'engaging face to face'. It seems that the guidance says someone shouldn't be classed as able to perform this task if to do so causes them 'overwhelming psychological distress' (a branch of descriptor D). Further guidance states: ”[...] an individual who always suffers severe anxiety or panic attacks when engaging with other people, even with support, is therefore unable to do so and clearly cannot complete the activity at that level to an acceptable standard.” With that in mind:

If someone is able to engage (non family) once per week but cannot do this without severe anxiety and becoming so distressed afterwards that they are unable to even attempt engagement for the rest of the week, how likely is that person to qualify for descriptor D? Common sense would suggest the person should be considered unable to do this task due to issues of reliability and the presence of 'severe anxiety', but I fear some assessors might be overly literal in their interpretation and I welcome some experienced advice.

Thanks.

Hi edward83.

I had a PIP face to face assessment a few weeks ago. To clarify I've been on Incapacity Benefit for seven plus years, transferred over to ESA Support (no medical). In receipt of DLA and this is my transition to PIP. At present receive Lower Rate Care and Higher Rate Mobility - though it could/will change i.e. there is no lower rate care within PIP.

The assessor was fine, I had my terminally ill mother with me as support. I did cry at some stage can't remember when. Anyway, while it was still relatively fresh in my mind I wrote up what happened. http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...me-visit-today.

With me muttering possibly incoherently at times, she wrote things up in the laptop.

My personal situation is I don't like being out and about where people could knock or bump into me, I'm fragile on my feet and because of this my mental health suffers and I become anxious and only then do I lose my bearings (panic). I don't like hustle and bustle and some situations I choose not to put myself in it or through it. On my own and with my immediate family I'm pretty much okay as they are familiar and understand me - strangers don't!

Because of this I had a F2F in my own home. Whereas my neighbour went to the local office for his PIP assessment.

Only a couple of times my mother spoke up reminding me of something i.e. my hands go numb which can make it difficult to hold things at times. My body doesn't regulate my temperature so one minute I can be freezing another I can be stifling hot. That's very minor compared to other problems I have.

I'm sure someone else can assist you further. I'm more comfortable in front of the keyboard when talking to strangers

@ Amy

I find it easier talking to strangers using the keyboard too
    Last edited by tattymama; 11-11-14 at 21:47.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Amy. I'm with both of you on the preference for the keyboard!

Going back to my original post, I find it quite difficult at times to avoid second-guessing the guidance/descriptor criteria, and therefore questioning my own entitlement to certain descriptors. This is not helped by reading about the controversial guidance alterations for the 'planning a journey' descriptors. I still feel uneasy concerning whether the reliability/percentage rules apply to the Engaging activity or whether this is something that is open to being twisted/perceived as 'you can do this task, so you don't have a problem'!