Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having to keep scooter outdoors

Thanks for those links, will check it out tomorrow. Plastic is a no go as it will still get the condensation.

It's a really heavy duty scooter due to my requirements and I can't bring the batteries in to charge. I can't even take the seat off myself to be able to get to the batteries. Lol. The charging point is on the scooter itself so even if I were able, I couldn't charge the batteries off the vehicle.

I'm not insured currently as I wouldn't be covered against anything but liability. I know liability is important but I haven't taken the insurance out as I've Ben so preoccupied with trying to sort shelter out.

I wish I could bring it into the flat but the door isn't wide enough, landlady won't allow me to have the door widened. Wouldn't even need permission from the management company for that either but she doesn't want to go down that route. I'm not even allowed to have grab rails installed. Lol.

Rofl, my scooter is waaaay too big for a car boot. I have a shelter for it but it's not proving suitable as, although it's waterproof, it gets really bad condensation so I'm covering it with waterproof jackets to keep seat and handlebars dry and then an army basha (soldiers use them as temporary tents and stretchers) which stops the charger getting dripped on. Not ideal and is a right royal pain standing around in the pouring rain trying to protect my scooter. Definitely need a shed, we're going to try and get permission to have a shed on my patio on the proviso that I remove it should I move. A shed has to look nicer than the cumbersome cover I currently have. Think I'm in for a long battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    I'm glad you posted again. I think lots of people here are facing situations that feel too much to cope with, and I'm sure everyone understands this.

If it's ok, a quick battery question. I mostly leave my scooter in the boot of my car; I can't carry it inside and need help to do this. (mostly charge it at work as I use powered chair there). If the weather gets seriously cold, does the boot offer enough protection or would it be better for the battery to be inside overnight if minus temperatures?

Alison as your scooter will be outside, can you wrap it up/cover the battery (before you put the cover over it)? I use some fleecy stuff (technical name!!) to protect a couple of plants overnight when the weather is cold, and it does work.
    Thought you'd like to know when I got my insurance, the only time it is NOT covered, is if LEFT IN A CAR, so do check.
    2nd Fliss the plants bless them, are not an expensive, corrosive electrical item. BRING BATTERY INSIDE. Cold = wet = not good for electrics!!

When I get my scooter I will do the same as Fliss and leave it in the car. There is no alternative - I cannot get the scooter into my flat. I will bring the battery in to charge but it will be heavy so I will not be able to bring it in every night to get it out of the cold. I have thought about putting a blanket over it in the winter though if leaving in the car.

Yeah insurance is OK. I'm sure this is a really common problem; very few homes will be able to store a scooter inside so unless people have a secure shed or garage we're all stuck!!
    Last edited by Fliss; 12-11-14 at 14:34.

I did check reddivine, it has to be in a secure locked building such as a shed or garage or inside the home.

I did find some stuff you can line the bonnet of a car with to protect batteries, am going to look into that because it may well do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by hazi1610 View Post
    I did find some stuff you can line the bonnet of a car with to protect batteries, am going to look into that because it may well do the job.
    Certainly won't harm, so worth a try given your situation.

When I first got my scooter which is the large Córdoba I had to leave it in the garden. I found an extra heavy duty cover on Ebay for about £45 and it worked perfectly (Simplantex brand). It even had tie ups front and back so wind wouldn't blow the cover off. Had no problem with condensation either-but then I live on outskirts of London so we don't get too cold fortunately! A friend of mine used old towels or blankets to stop condensation under the cover on her scooter. Scooter mechanic told me to keep the charger plugged in when I get back from every journey which does seem to help. My scooter is 4 and half years old now and batteries still hold full charge and do huge mileage. Luckily I have managed to get a shed now for it.
    Hope this helps. Dread to imagine how I would manage without my scooter. good luck!