Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pip awarded high daily living - will i get esa disability premiums backdated

Quote Originally Posted by nanna55 View Post
    Sorry to gate crash your thread. I appear to be quite dense as I do not seem to be able to find how to post a new thread? Any help appreciated.
    Nanna55
    Nanna,
    Look at the top of the page and there is a big blue menu bar.
    Underneath this is some blue writing.
    Click on the right hand end of this writing and you will be taken to the main forum page.
    On the left you will now see a big blue button that says "Post New Thread".

Dont worry about it, we were all new to it at one time.

If you qualify for additional premiums on a means tested benefit as a result of another benefit being awarded, those premiums can be backdated to the date of the additional benefit award.

You will already have the Enhanced Disability Premium (described in letters as "Disability Income Guarantee") because you are in the Support Group.

You can be awarded the Severe Disability Premium from the start date of your PIP award if nobody claims Carer's Allowance for looking after you and you live alone (or can be treated as living alone). This is why DWP have sent you the IS10 form, which collects the information they need to determine your entitlement to SDP.

spencer69 is quite right to point out that the award of an additional premium can affect entitlement to other means tested help, such as Housing Benefit and Council Tax Help. Indeed, the award of PIP can affect these other benefits, so it's wise to let all relevant offices (including Social Services if you have any care or Direct Payments) know about any changes in your circumstances.

Thanks for the clear info, Flymo.

They're sending me the IS10 form, I live alone and have no carer so I'm hoping to get SDP.

I was awarded ESA EDP before my PIP enhanced daily living came through.

If I do get the Severe premium, then will it get backdated to the start of PIP claim or ESA claim?

Also, would it be the full £61 a week backdated? Or would it be minus the £15.55 EDP? Or are they both included. It's confusing I guess because of my PIP award coming shortly after my ESA award.

Thanks

You can only receive SDP for a period where you were entitled to both Income Related ESA and PIP. You imply that you were already on ESA at the start date of your PIP award, so the earliest day SDP can be award from is the start date of your PIP award. Premiums can be paid on top of ESA assessment rate if you meet the qualifying conditions for the premium.

You can receive both EDP and SDP, so any backdating and ongoing payments will be based on the full weekly SDP amount.

The IS10 form is straightforward. If you genuinely live alone and have no carer, you should have no problem qualifying for SDP. Make sure you make it clear to DWP that you are seeking an award of SDP from the start date of your PIP award.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    You can only receive SDP for a period where you were entitled to both Income Related ESA and PIP. You imply that you were already on ESA at the start date of your PIP award.
    I applied for PIP in Nov 13 and applied for ESA in Feb 14. I'd been living on the ESA assesment rate, then a few weeks ago I was awarded ESA SG, and last week awarded PIP.

So, in that case, I'd assume SDP will be awarded to the start of ESA claim?

And, am I right in thinking I'll be entitled to EDP and SDP (£15.55 + £61) ? Or is is just SDP?

Thanks for your help

Presumably you were awarded ESA shortly after your February 2014 claim at the assessment rate. As this ESA award came first, the first date you can be awarded SDP from is the first day of your PIP award, which is 27 June 2014. I expect you to be awarded SDP from 27 June 2014.

The decision placing you in the ESA Support Group should have been backdated to the 92nd day of your claim (beginning of the 13th week), which is likely to be some time in June on the dates you give. You should already have been awarded EDP from the day your entitlement to the Support Group started based on the Support Group decision. Assuming the award of EDP based on being in the Support Group was correctly backdated, your entitlement to EDP based on your PIP award from 27 June 2014 will result in no or very little backdated EDP.