Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu Jabs

Flu Jabs

Being disabled since 2012 and having passed my 65th birthday earlier this year, for the third winter I was contacted some weeks ago by my local GP Surgery and offered a flu jab. I was told I would have to attend the surgery on a Saturday morning, but when I reminded the receptionist that I was disabled, she said she would add me to the list for a District Nurse to come and give me the jab at home.

And for the third consecutive winter, despite being a 'vulnerable adult' it now looks as though I'm going to have to go without because the surgery has once again run out of the vaccine. I understand that each GP surgery is allocated a limited amount of vaccine, and this is snapped up by the many normal able bodied people and others who can get to the surgery to receive the jabs.

On the 'Dial-A-Ride' bus to the local supermarket this morning, it appears that (not for the first time) two other local elderly disabled people are also experiencing a similar problem. It must be pointed out that the local 'Dial-A-Ride' bus in Epsom is not available to transport us to the GP surgery on Saturday mornings. Neither can I afford the £20 fare to get there and back by taxi.

Are disabled people in other parts of the country also being denied winter flu jabs?

Chris

Hi Chris D

My mother is 74, and not been offered the flu jab by her GP (there again, I know my mother would say no). I attend every appointment with her and vice versa. In fact we saw the GP yesterday. Didn't mention it to her.

Not sure about anyone else in my neighbourhood, I rarely venture out so don't really see them. If I do hear anything will post and let you know.

Flu jabs aren't normally offered routinely to those without any health issues so I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that hordes of able bodied people are rushing to the surgery and snapping up all the vaccine. I always get offered one because I have asthma. I would think it likely that your surgery will get more vaccine in - I've had mine as late as February in the past - so keep asking. They may just mean they've ran out of their current batch of vaccine.

I get a letter from my surgery asking to just drop-in between certain hours for a flu jab. Yesterday my Doctor's surgery phoned me to tell me tat there was a prescription was ready for picking up or emailing to a chemist locally.

I couldn't remember what it was for as I rarely visit the Doctors.

Apparently my neurologist wants me to try out some nerve pain tablets.

Popped into the surgery and asked for the prescription and casually asked about a flu jab. Maxine, our practice nurse, was gossiping in the reception and when she saw me popped out and ushered me into her room. The reception was full of patients and I hadn't even made an appointment. While I was in she took my blood pressure 85 over 130 - a little high but not worrying.

I think the nurse has a soft spot for me - I've got no other explanation as to why I get the VIP treatment!

I'm disabled but not entitled to an NHS flu jab. If i get a cough, the movement involved in coughing causes my ribs to dislocate. Every time i cough. But my other half is entitled to one because he is my carer! Im lucky that my employer has offered the flu jab for free to all employees. Needless to say, i snapped it up. Otherwise I would have paid £9 for one from tesco.

I join others in suspecting it's a temporary supply issue, Chris, with the current batch of vaccine having run out. If you ask the surgery, they might be able to add you to a list of people to ring when they know more will be arriving.

As catlover says, the vaccination is not available on the NHS to people outside the defined groups, nor have I come across any evidence of of a queue of people paying for a flu jab from my GP (indeed, I don't believe my surgery makes private flu jabs available). I qualify for an NHS flu jab because my neurological problems have affected my chest, leaving me at high risk of chest infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    I join others in suspecting it's a temporary supply issue, Chris, with the current batch of vaccine having run out. If you ask the surgery, they might be able to add you to a list of people to ring when they know more will be arriving.

As catlover says, the vaccination is not available on the NHS to people outside the defined groups, nor have I come across any evidence of of a queue of people paying for a flu jab from my GP (indeed, I don't believe my surgery makes private flu jabs available). I qualify for an NHS flu jab because my neurological problems have affected my chest, leaving me at high risk of chest infections.
    Hi, I've had this but it may be worth speaking with your local pharmacy as some can give it to you for free if you are in the right group. Also it does seem a bit discriminatory to give the flu jab to people at home, I had mine no issue at the doctor surgery and most of them should be able to give it to you at the surgery no issue, and that's something I've not heard of myself which is most unusual almost like they can't risk the possible extra time as they are on a too tighter schedule.

If you have a branch of Fishers chemist,and are able to arrange for dial a ride to take you there, yhey are for the second year, giving them free to those who qualify,I would ring first in case you need to book
    If you do not have a fishers you could perhaps google to find out what other chemists are issuing it free
    Or if you have a local branch of Crossroads, they are doing this also,although my local branch are almost run out now (I had mine done there recently)
    As a last resort if you are able to afford it get diala ride to tesco for a nine pound one rather than leave yourself unprotected

Well I think I will be having a word with my GP practice

My GP always used to give me the jab as I regularly saw her then when she left the surgery I phoned about having it that year but the receptionist said if they didn't get in touch I wouldn't need it so fair enough

After reading this thread I check out the eligibility

Asthma with steroid treatment tick

Ventrical systolic dysfunction tick

Immune compromised thanks to immunesuppressnts drugs tick

If I still can't get it from them which I'm sure I should I will check out tesco xx

Thanks for your varying replies. I appreciate that some replies and suggestions were based firmly on either experiences or personal perceptions of what should be happening, but you need to remember that community healthcare throughout the UK is a postcode lottery. Some areas have better healthcare than others.

I have given the realistic situation for my small corner of the country. Having telephoned my GP Surgery this morning, I've now chased them on three occasions. This morning the lady told me that there stock of flu vaccine is now exhausted, and that they as per last year they are unlikely to receive further supplies. So it looks like once again that I along with others will not be receiving our winter flu jabs.

And finally....
    Quote Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
    Also it does seem a bit discriminatory to give the flu jab to people at home,
    You have no idea of my situation or circumstance that requires a home visit.