Thread: Got my PIP Decision

Got my PIP Decision

Hi,

I had my assessment last Tuesday, I rang up this morning and they said a letter was sent out yesterday, I got awarded standard mobility with 8 points, however I didn't get the daily living component and scored 6 points, I'm abit disappointed as the daily living component is what I would of liked. They messed up over the phone at first and told me that I got the daily living component however after he told me it was £21.55 a week I said to him it's not, he then apologized and said sorry I meant the standard mobility, so that was abit disappointing.

I'm not sure if to appeal and try and get the extra 2 points however I hear you can lose everything, so I'm abit scared to do so. I have two questions, does anyone know if PIP entitles you to housing benefit? Also, if I appeal, will I need to give the backpay money I already received for the standard mobility back?

Thank you

I have two questions, does anyone know if PIP entitles you to housing benefit? Also, if I appeal, will I need to give the backpay money I already received for the standard mobility back?
    PIP doesn't affect any other benefit or entitle you to housing benefit and you won't have to pay anything back if you Appeal. To find out if you qualify for housing benefit just contact your Local Authority and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    PIP doesn't affect any other benefit or entitle you to housing benefit and you won't have to pay anything back if you Appeal. To find out if you qualify for housing benefit just contact your Local Authority and ask.
    Thank you for your response. You know if I ask for a mandatory reconsideration for the daily living component, can they end up taking away the motability component, or would it be a matter of they would either increase my rate or just keep it as the same? As I've heard a tribunal can decide your not entitled to anything and that's one of the risks you take, can a mandatory reconsideration do that also?

The answer to your question is:-Yes, all their options are open.
    You could state that you are satisfied with the Mobility Award but that would be no guarantee that they wont look at it. Though I do think if you did do that there would be no chance of an increase in it, where as otherwise there maybe a chance of one.

The thing is that whatever the decision at MR, if your not satisfied with it you can move on to a Tribunal and put your case there.
    Also, if a Tribunal is considering removing your award completely they are obliged to tell you before the hearing begins and provide you with the option to withdraw. There's no such provision with an MR, you just get the decision and that's that.
    Last edited by Jard; 05-11-14 at 17:22. Reason: Adding text

Yeah I won't be going to a tribunal, it's really just the MR, I just want to make sure that they can't take away my award completely.

That's interesting information Jard so a tribunal has to tell you before the hearing begins if there planning removing the whole award.
    What about if you have a benefits adviser now which I now do?
    My case as you know Jard is that rather tiresome unplanned intervention which you have replied to on more than one occasion but I had not realised that important information.

if a Tribunal is considering removing your award completely they are obliged to tell you before the hearing begins and provide you with the option to withdraw.
    This is a result of a decision of higher authority I forget which now, but it was either the UTT/SSC's or the High Court and has been in force for some time, though it very rarely occurs.

@stormforce
    Your Adviser would see any possibility of this when going through your case papers, just follow what they say - and the best of luck on the day.

@ds123
    When entering into a MR or Appeal you should be sure of your facts and be prepared to go all the way, this isn't the sort of thing to do halfheartedly and chance your arm as the risk is there from the beginning.
    Last edited by Jard; 06-11-14 at 10:28. Reason: Adding text

Quote Originally Posted by ds123 View Post
    Yeah I won't be going to a tribunal, it's really just the MR, I just want to make sure that they can't take away my award completely.
    Unfortunatley yes ds123, at any reconsideration / appeal it is possible, if unlikely, that you may loose out.

This is because the MR reconsiders the whole case again from the start and makes a new decision.
    This could be to uphold the previous award, vary the previous award, or scrap the previous award altogether in favour of a new award.

It would be unusual to overturn one element that has already been awarded, but it could happen and so needs to be pointed out.

(I had also just posted this in another thread and have copied it for ease of reading here rather than giving a link).
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-11-14 at 01:20.

I suggest reading the advice on reconsideration and maximising the points scored in the sticky PIP thread (coloured text is a clickable link), as well as reading the sticky PIP thread more widely.

Any decision to request reconsideration is a case of weighing up the prospects for additional points against how secure the points you have already been awarded might be. It can be useful to request a copy of the assessment report, as that often gives some idea of how secure the points awarded are.

The chances of losing points you have just been awarded is usually fairly low, but it can happen. As the others have correctly said, the entire award is looked at again at reconsideration. Even if you keep your standard rate mobility, you might finish up with a shorter award than you have now.