Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discount for trains, buses & other stuff

Discount for trains, buses & other stuff

Having recently been put in the ESA support group I'm wondering if this benefit extends to reduced travel.

I've had a search online and found a JSA railcard, but couldn't find any info for ESA SG, so I'm guessing not.

Also, along the same lines, is there any other help with costs for other things people here are aware of?
    Last edited by skipper; 03-11-14 at 15:25. Reason: Misspell

no there are none apart from disabled concessionary bus passes,

This is how it works in the South Yorks area - if you're on Higher rate Mobility you should be able to get a bus pass from your local authority. If you're on H rate Mob plus M rate Care you should qualify for a pass that entitles a carer to go with you free of charge. Additionally, my pass gives me access to free travel on trains/trams between Doncaster, Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and some parts of West Yorks.

You could also apply for a train pass that gets you a third off travel. Just type in something like 'disabled train travel'.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Having recently been put in the ESA support group I'm wondering if this benefit extends to reduced travel.

I've had a search online and found a JSA railcard, but couldn't find any info for ESA SG, so I'm guessing not.

Also, along the same lines, is there any other help with costs for other things people here are aware of?
    I only have a bus pass - it's a concessionary card with my photograph. The form I collected from my local library. An appointment with the GP who signed, dated and put an office stamp on the form. In my case this is because I have mobility (walking) problems.

My pass is for 15 years. I do not have any other passes or discounts - except through DLA ie. Road Tax exempt on Higher Rate.

Thanks. As I'm only on ESA SG and awaiting PIP decision (I won't be getting mobility). But I might ask about the bus pass.

Do any of you get other help with costs, such as dentists, opticians etc?

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post

Hello there

People have covered travel, therefore, enough said.

Regarding help with costs for other things that you may be entitled to, if your ESA award is Income Related you may be entitled to:

1. The Warm Home Discount. This scheme offers a discount of £140.00 off your electricity bill. You have to apply for it each year, direct to your supplier. With the supplier EDF, you will be entitled to it if you are getting ESA in addition to either the WRAG or SG Component. Apparently, different suppliers do have a slightly different qualifying criteria; this is certainly worth enquiring about - you can do this online.

Buster
    Last edited by buster21; 03-11-14 at 18:31.

Thanks Buster. I'll have a look into the heating discount.

Other costs buster has mentioned: related to type of ESA income...

I do receive the Warm Home Discount - so useful, I'm with SWALEC and every September I re-apply. It goes into my account (electric) about March, which gives me peace of mind knowing the money is in there. Last year it was £135, this year it is £140.

Dentist and optician also included - recently had an eye test and pair of reading glasses - all free, twice a year dental visit free etc.

If/when you get PIP, you can also pay £5.50 for a cinema card, this is renewed annually. It allows you to pay for yourself and your carer goes free (carer could be partner, friend etc).

Also, it would be worth checking online with your local Council regarding a Disablement Relieve regarding your Council Tax Bill. All Local Authorities have their own schemes offering Council Tax Discounts for some disabled people.

Additionally, after 26 weeks of being in receipt of IR ESA, you will be entitled to apply for an interest free Budgeting Loan, if you wish, from the Social Fund; this can be used to fund things like buying furniture or household items, clothing and footwear or even home improvements. It's a very simple and straightforward form to fill in. The value of these loans on offer vary depending on your individual circumstances, for example, a single person without children can borrow up to £348.00, whereas, a claimant responsible for a child can borrow up to £812.00 - interest free of course.

Buster
    Last edited by buster21; 03-11-14 at 19:35.

Thanks Amy and Buster. I've looked around online and I've read some discounts depend on if you get contributions based or income related esa. I got a bit confused reading about it.

I've looked at the letter I received last week about being put in the support group, but it doesn't say anything about CB or IR.