Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On DLA and ESA and moving houses.

On DLA and ESA and moving houses.

Hi. I am a single parent of 3 kids currently on DLA and ESA and live in Somerset. I have 80% of my mortgage paid (housing benefit) for and also get council benifit. I am wanting to move to a different county and want to rent a house after putting mine up for sale. I will get no money from the sale. How do I go about sorting out the DLA and ESA for moving and any other benefits. I have no clue where to start as not been claiming long. Thanks.

I did something similar but that was 7 years ago. Though different circumstances, single parent (husband died 10 years ago). My son went to university and found the house was just too big.

I moved to a different town, contacted the DWP about my new address etc, they sent someone out to visit me. I paid my own rent up until they visited. The person who came was very helpful, filled out forms for me etc and a month or so later (can't remember when) I started to receive housing benefit.

Though we also know each county can be so different.

I've since moved again into a council property - ground floor and now all my rent and council tax are paid for, for the last four years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I suggest you visit CAB or similar and take their advice, not only that they have professionals who can help you fill in forms when they start to arrive.

Not

grgr11 states: .................."potentially you are committing fraud".

Wow - a bit strong don't you think? The OP was asking for advice not judgement.

Or could it not simply be that the OP is mistaken and does indeed receive mortgage interest relief?

Maybe describing it as 'housing benefit for homeowners' for those with interest only mortgages! Just a thought.

Bloody hell. Only first ever message in have ever put on here. Don't think I will bother again. If I was committing fraud do you think I would be so stupid to announce it on a public forum. My house is on a interest only mortgage, which they are paying 80% of and I pay the rest. Does that help you out.

Thankyou very much for your advice though grgr11 you really gave me the answer is was looking for.

as for the OP she did state that she was new to benefits so using the wrong terminology is easily done and as for helping her the main question was how does she go about moving ect not the capital of her home they just may not be any equity for all we know but doubt she'll come back on
    Last edited by acheron; 03-11-14 at 20:01. Reason: post I was replying to was removed

The OP has stated she won't get any money because it is an interest only mortgage.
    On the other hand she may get a little if the property value has risen since purchase.

Omg this is horrendous. I was asking how I go about moving and informing people, not to be lectured about the income from my house sale. But for your information it's interest only with 144,00 outstanding and only worth 155,00 so no don't think I am going to come out with anything. Not a great position to be in after paying a mortgage for 21 yrs and just separating from a useless husband 2 yrs ago. But when I said than you for your help and now I can't remember your name in was being sarcastic.

kinnalls, I was in the same position as you many years ago and it really hurts to lose all you have worked and paid for over the years.
    Mine was due to a useless husband too.
    Why do we put up with them for so long I don't know? We are fools to ourselves.

I hope for your sake you do get something to help you set up a new home and doesn't affect your benefits.
    Last edited by beau; 03-11-14 at 19:32.