Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Companionship when disabled.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Companionship when disabled.

Prompted by Mikey's posting that a rescue kitten is now part of the household.

I realise quite a few here already have partners or live with relatives.

In the past had a dog but the last few years I was unable to walk the few hours a day required for a boisterous boxer and found him a wonderful new home. Two years ago I had a rescue cat from the RSPCA. She has helped with my depression quite a lot. I now live alone except for my sweet cat. She motivates me, regardless of how I feel, the nudge from her for food or to open a window has helped me. Cupboard love or not, when she's around she boosts me.

I confide in her, tell her my woes as well as my good news and trust her to keep my secrets .

What do others do for companionship?

TheAmazingAtheist
    My husband lives with me and I sometimes invite a few of my friends around. Or I go see them

I have a cat. I did have 2 but sadly had to have my 17yr old pts in June due to kidney failure.

I miss having a cat about. We've always had animals of some sort.

. Our neighbours cat however, being smart has noticed an opportunity and is often popping round.. Alas the awesome girlriend currently lives miles away, or rather me from she.. As the IKEA song goes.. Why aren't we living together.....

Regularly see the girlfriend.

don't have any pets myself, but she has 3 cats. I'd love a dog but when we move in together im not so sure it'll get on with her 3 cats.

Had fish and hamsters in the past. wont give you as much companionship as a dog or cat, but better than nothing.

We have a miniature Schnauzer staying with us at the moment, other wildlife here is a rabbit, 2 guinea pigs, 4 Pekin black Bantam hens, and their cock bird, a Silkie hen, and a Chocolate Orpington. They keep me occupied a fair bit.

We have a dog and her companionship is unbelievable. She comforts me when I am upset and gives unconditional love. She is also a reason for me to go out daily. Although we have a large garden it is unfair and unhealthy to keep her confined to it although she would be happy just for me to throw her ball and her chase after it but I believe a change of scene is vital to a dog's well being. Although I often feel too unwell to walk her I have to go and I also benefit from the fresh air and more often than not come back feeling much better in myself.

I say walk her, I go on my scooter with her sat on the footplate until we get to the bridle path where she gets off and sniffs and walks to her heart's content.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingAtheist View Post
    My husband lives with me and I sometimes invite a few of my friends around. Or I go see them
    Husbands can be handy at times . Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    I have a cat. I did have 2 but sadly had to have my 17yr old pts in June due to kidney failure.
    I’d be lost without my cat now. Sorry to hear about the other cat, though 17 years is a good age.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingKidney View Post
    I miss having a cat about. We've always had animals of some sort.
    . Our neighbours cat however, being smart has noticed an opportunity and is often popping round.. Alas the awesome girlriend currently lives miles away, or rather me from she.. As the IKEA song goes.. Why aren't we living together.....
    Well with distance you appreciate each other more.

Quote Originally Posted by carl30 View Post
    Regularly see the girlfriend.
    don't have any pets myself, but she has 3 cats. I'd love a dog but when we move in together im not so sure it'll get on with her 3 cats.
    Had fish and hamsters in the past. wont give you as much companionship as a dog or cat, but better than nothing.
    Wow, well three cats would be more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    We have a miniature Schnauzer staying with us at the moment, other wildlife here is a rabbit, 2 guinea pigs, 4 Pekin black Bantam hens, and their cock bird, a Silkie hen, and a Chocolate Orpington. They keep me occupied a fair bit.
    Wow that’s a small farm – must keep you busy.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    We have a dog and her companionship is unbelievable. She comforts me when I am upset and gives unconditional love. She is also a reason for me to go out daily. Although we have a large garden it is unfair and unhealthy to keep her confined to it although she would be happy just for me to throw her ball and her chase after it but I believe a change of scene is vital to a dog's well being. Although I often feel too unwell to walk her I have to go and I also benefit from the fresh air and more often than not come back feeling much better in myself.

I say walk her, I go on my scooter with her sat on the footplate until we get to the bridle path where she gets off and sniffs and walks to her heart's content.
    As you say unconditional love, it’s priceless. I see a man going on his scooter with a dog beside him, absolutely brilliant idea. Totally agree dogs need a good sniff and have a change of scenery.

Have you ever considered a pen pal . I correspond with a Chinese woman who is presently sat in a hospital bed in China!

We have wonderful conversations and I learn so much about other cultures.

She is under going intensive acupuncture over a three month period and is a software developer.

I win for having the best long distant companion! 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Have you ever considered a pen pal . I correspond with a Chinese woman who is presently sat in a hospital bed in China!

We have wonderful conversations and I learn so much about other cultures.

She is under going intensive acupuncture over a three month period and is a software developer.

I win for having the best long distant companion! 😄
    I agree Light and well done you.

I also have had some really interesting conversations with several people around the world, wonderful thing is the internet.

I converse with People from New Zealand, USA, China, Australia, Malaysia and India. Several years ago I was a Games Administrator for a mmorpg and through that I met up with so many people from every corner of the world. I have kept in contact with a few of them and it has been very interesting indeed.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe