Thread: PIP Descriptor Clarification

PIP Descriptor Clarification

Hi all

ok, just found out I got 4 points for the mobility part of my PIP claim, presumably this one

b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.
    I disagree with that, and that wasn't what was said in the assessment, but anyway the higher points ones are

e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10

f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12
    I notice the 10 point desriptor mentions specifically psychological distress but the 12 point one does not. Does that mean psychological distress cannot be a reason for (f) or is it a valid reason for not undertaking journeys without another person with me?

To be honest the assessor was pretty ok with the care side, awarding 15 points, which was on the higher side of what I was expecting (I had myself down between 10 and 18 points) so maybe he misinterpreted what I said on the mobility side, as I was expecting between 8 and 12 for that part.

Curious did you get a detailed letter?

Thank you for sharing, it's always interesting to know how people managed and what they get/got.

Quote Originally Posted by atmywitsend View Post
    Hi all

ok, just found out I got 4 points for the mobility part of my PIP claim, presumably this one

I disagree with that, and that wasn't what was said in the assessment, but anyway the higher points ones are

I notice the 10 point desriptor mentions specifically psychological distress but the 12 point one does not. Does that mean psychological distress cannot be a reason for (f) or is it a valid reason for not undertaking journeys without another person with me?

To be honest the assessor was pretty ok with the care side, awarding 15 points, which was on the higher side of what I was expecting (I had myself down between 10 and 18 points) so maybe he misinterpreted what I said on the mobility side, as I was expecting between 8 and 12 for that part.
    The 12 point descriptor for needing another person or an aid/assistance dog etc must be because you are unable to actually follow the route - i.e. cognitive difficulties which would mean you would get lost unless someone accompanied you or you had an aid to help you. Examples would be blindness or severe learning difficulties.

The 10 point one for extreme psychological distress only applies (as far as I know) if you are unable to leave the house at all or if you or others are at risk of serious harm when you go out.

If you need accompanying for reassurance because of anxiety/panic then the points you score will be 4 points (needs prompting).

I have just been through a MR and this was one of the points I challenged as I only got 4 points (needs prompting). I thought I should have scored higher because I am unable to ever go out alone and I only leave the house at all to go to medical appointments, accompanied by my husband. I have schizophrenia and generalised anxiety disorder and I explained in great depth how these affect me in the MR, but still only got 4 points for the reasons explained above.
    Last edited by noisynoodle; 29-10-14 at 10:12.

I found that I will not score any higher, simply because I do not have a learning disability. I can not leave the house on my own because I have been known to put myself in danger and be unaware of it.

I still only got the prompting award.

It's like banging my head against a brick wall.

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    Curious did you get a detailed letter?

Thank you for sharing, it's always interesting to know how people managed and what they get/got.
    I just got the letter about an hour ago. It seems from the replies above that psycological problems are being met with 'needs prompting' even when that isn't the case. I can't go out without someone with me, if there is no one to come out, I stay in, thats a bit more than 'needs prompting to go out', I had a friend with me at the assessment, and she explained to the assessor that she comes shopping with me, goes everywhere with me that I go, and sometimes even then if i'm having a down day, she can't get me to go out at all.

Having got the letter theres actually a fair bit I disagree with on the care side too, despite getting 15 points. I've probably got 4 points I shouldn't have, but about 8 I should have and didn't get. The whole care side is littered with 'needs prompting', cooking a meal for example, you need prompting from another person to prepare or cook a simple meal, despite us both saying I won't cook anything unless someones with me, due to leaving the oven on all night a couple of times, leaving the cooker rings on after finished cooking, stuff like that. However I got 4 points for need prompting to eat or drink, I don't, I can eat perfectly fine, but if no ones here will just snack on crisps, that type of thing, and not sure why he awarded points for that section, as I had myself down as 0 for it.

This is what I was awarded 4 points needs prompting but I only leave the house to attended a appointments and then I'm medicated and with my mother also , I felt/feel I should of been given more points because prompt me all you like I'm still not going to do it I have a mental breakdown even at the thought of having to go out let alone do it alone , I feel like mental health isn't taken as seriously as physical health problems are

I'm not familiar with the minutae of each descriptor (the only ones that apply to me are the moving around and ones relating to washing, dressing etc) but if you do a bit of a search you may find threads that explain the definitions in a bit more detail. I know Flymo has, in the past, posted lots of useful information about specific descriptors. There are stirct legal definitions of what is required in order to meet a particular descriptor. It's very easy to look at an activity and score ourselves higher than we have been scored but often that's because there are specific requirements for the higher scoring descriptor that do not apply. Have a search - it might help you to understand or challenge your score for a particular activity. This thread, for example, has some info about planning and following journeys

http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...hp/9247-Pip-mr

Also check out the sticky PIP thread if you haven't already done so
    Last edited by catlover; 30-10-14 at 08:25. Reason: to add link