Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just seen a job I fancy applying for

Just seen a job I fancy applying for

Sometimes I'm happy to be retired then along comes an ideal job and you think 'I could do that'.

Been out of the job market for three and a half years as I retired on medical grounds. The trouble is my brain is still racing along and needs new things to stimulate it. I'm looking for a new challenge and if some company wants to pay me - even better.

What appeals is that it's

- Part time
    - Short term contract
    - Only disabled people can apply
    - It's a 20 minute drive away
    - It covers stuff I know about
    - Need to be able to work on your own initiative
    - Helps to think outside the box

The downside is there's a teaching element to it and I don't have masses of experience in that area.

Applications need to be in by the end of the month.

Decisions, decisions

Give it a whirl if you are really interested.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Last edited by beau; 20-10-14 at 19:46.

Go for it.

As I always tell people, even those whom I manage, apply and see how you get. If you're offered the job and decide after all its not for you then say sorry and turn it down.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

As the others have said, you can always apply and withdraw later on if you decide it's not for you.

It is important to keep pushing yourself appropriately, as you have reminded me in the past. Being too 'safe' all the time can lead to you missing out on the richness of life. I've got a lot of work still to do in my degree, but I'm thinking beyond graduation to how I can begin to build up my workplace skills again. Voluntary work is the obvious starting point for me, though if a suitable paid opportunity came along at the right time I'd be a fool to dismiss it.

So far as teaching goes, I'm sure you have a lot of experience to pass on. The basic courses for those teaching adult learners are fairly straightforward (Google for PTLLS and CTLLS) and might be worth considering if compatible with the requirements of the job even though no formal teaching qualification is likely to be required.

There's rarely a perfect candidate for a job. The job specification is likely to explain what is essential and what is desirable, though in many cases candidates who do not fully meet an essential requirement can be considered.

In this case, teaching sounds to be one element of a wider role, and who knows - if you take some adult teaching courses as part of this role, it might lead you into further teaching in the future.

I'll take everyones suggestions and at least apply for the job. As I have some major disability related expenses involved it would help to have a little extra corn coming in. First let's try to secure an interview - that's step one!

Well you have charm, persistence and personality going for you..

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Give it a whirl if you are really interested.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Totally agree

Lighttouch, you've nothing to lose by trying. I know what you mean about the mind racing, that's why I keep myself busy, with writing and a few forums. Beauty of it is, they can be done in my own time i.e. night or day any day of the week.

Hello folks,

Just thought I'd let you know I've just emailed my Job Application for the Project Coordinators post. No doubt short listing will take place next week. I'm guessing that if I hear nothing by Friday I won't be attending an interview.

Something that has dawned on me. If, that is a bid 'if' I was offered the job that might solve my wheelchair funding issue as I could ask Access to Work to part fund it.

Let's not jump the gun!!

I think it's time for a latte fix then exercise on a trike around the outdoor running track!!

Go for it. Even applying will meet some of your needs for stimulation. If you are confident in what you know and the students want to learn then teachin should be no problem and, again, offers a chance for your own stimulation in thinking about delivery methods

Good luck, you've nothing to lose and plenty to gain. Hope it all works out for you.
    Last edited by AmyS; 31-10-14 at 20:27.