Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design Project - Create a solution for a disability-based problem.

Hi Charlie, nice to hear from you again.

I haven't looked at your project yet, my laptop is bust and I am struggling on with my phone, LT has given some feedback to be going on with.

Hope to have a new laptop this weekend and will take a proper look an make comments once I get that up and running.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quick answer from an engineering designer point of view.

Not a bad concept and a decent looking first prototype to see if the idea works in practice.
    I assume that you have tried it on various surfaces to assess and measure the extra level of grip over a normal ferrule? Do you have any tabulated results? ("Unstick" force down shaft of crutch at 80deg to surface, at 60, 45 degs for both normal ferrules and yours).
    I haven't checked but there are probably set minimum standards for these.

Are you going to progress this design? Some suggestions-

Loose or tidy up the tubing (trip hazzard, easy to snag and pull out), think about the trigger force needed (not everybody has a good grip, or even all their fingers).

I'm sure others will suggest possible improvements now they can see your concept.

Just out of interest which cad prpgramme are you using?

Thanks for the feedback, comments on the clunky design were to be expected, If I were focusing on just one subject in school I wish I could have made it neater, and I've never looked into electronics too much either, but this will really help for comments on what ought to be changed in a later prototype or if it were brought to mass production

I haven't found the relevent regulations as yet, but these reports into the testing of loading and slip of crutches may be of interest:

http://www.crutches.co.nz/uploads/EN...G%20REPORT.pdf
    http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jou...2/kennaway.pdf

(This may have posted twice - the forum is playing up in internet explorer again)

I met a disabled woman with the same issues as me regarding crutch slipping - she had a three pronged ferrule!

Interesting solution.

3-prong-ferrule.jpg