Thread: PIP renewal do I need to send evidence ?

....................deleted

....................deleted
    Last edited by Tiredguy; 10-06-15 at 15:48.

PIP renewals usually start a year before the end date of the award - this was likely explained in the original award letter. The year between the start of the renewal process and the end of the expiring award is intended to allow time for the renewal to take place.

A renewal is a fresh application for PIP - you have to demonstrate entitlement over again.

You say that your wife's condition will never improve, which suggests it might be worth trying to obtain evidence about the likelihood of her condition changing. If you can show that improvement or deterioration in her daily living and mobility needs is unlikely, this should result in a longer award. If the decision maker is unsure about the prospect of her daily living or mobility needs changing, he or she will likely err on the side of giving a short award.

When a new decision is made, that decision will almost certainly supersede the current decision even though the end date of the award has not been reached.

Ideally any medical evidence should address the possibility of improvement and deterioration in condition.

Quote Originally Posted by grgr11 View Post
    On another note, I see you have posted Flymo. Was getting worried that you hadn't posted for a few days. If it was related to your illness, I hope you are feeling better now.
    I had a hospital appointment on Wednesday. On the way there someone drove into the back of me - I was just about to cross a zebra crossing at low speed in a traffic jam when someone walked onto the far side of the crossing. I stopped, but the van behind me didn't. Fortunately it was such a low speed impact he bounced off my bumper. He exchanged details and he was quite clear it was his fault because he wasn't paying sufficient attention. I took the time to calm the other driver down before letting him get back into the central London traffic. The last thing I wanted was for him to drive off preoccupied with the collision he had just caused and become involved in another collision. Indeed, he thanked me for being so decent about the whole thing. Life is so much better when you treat others with kindness.

I'm glad that he hit the back of my car rather than a pedestrian on the zebra crossing, who might not have got away so lightly. I could have done without the impact jarring my damaged body, also it brought back fleeting memories of a serious car crash I was involved in where someone hit the back of my stationary car at some speed. It's a reminder of the need to pay careful attention whilst driving.

Since then, my tiredness has grown into a fully fledged battle with exhaustion. I have a pile of really heavyweight law on my desk that I just can't deal with at the moment, but I have to give myself time to recover.

With apologies for the off-topic nature of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by grgr11 View Post
    Seems as if you have had a really bad week.

I second that, so easy to get distracted. The number of near misses I have had is amazing, considering I have had no accident (so far).

It is traumatising if you have had an accident before, reliving the memories can be destroying for oneself.

London is terrible for traffic and the few times I have driven there, I really wished I wasn't and I sometimes tend to just get a taxi for the reason that traffic is a nightmare and in London you get some real inconsiderate drivers.

I hope you recover soon and hopefully everything will work out. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
    Thanks for your good wishes.

I used to live in central London - indeed, I lived in Zone 1 when I first fell ill. I was glad to leave London for somewhere quieter and where access is easier after I fell ill, but I find myself back in London regularly. It's a place that demands a lot from you as a driver because it is so busy.

I've never been involved in a collision where I was to blame, other than reversing into a low bollard in a car park at low speed shortly after passing my test (the small dent in my bumper pushed straight out and in any case I was driving a 10 year old car that had clearly seen better days before I bought it). As you say, though, any of us could be involved in a collision as we're all fallible and there is no such thing as a perfect driver. Anyone who drives will make mistakes that, in different circumstances, would have had a serious outcome.

Unfortunately, I've been involved in some heavy collisions as passenger and as a driver where no blame could be attached to the person driving the car I was in.

When I was young, a foreign lorry pulled off the hard shoulder of a motorway at low speed in front of the car my father was driving. The traffic prevented my father from doing anything other than hitting the lorry square up the back. We all got thrown around, but nothing more serious. That car was nearly written off, but was eventually repaired. It was never quite the same again and my father sold it shortly after he got it back.

More recently, I was involved in a similar collision to my London collision in crawling traffic on the M1. I responded to the traffic in front slowing down by slowing down myself. The car behind me didn't slow down and hit me square up the back at low speed. Again, it was an incident where the low impact speed caused no damage, but it could have been prevented by the other driver paying attention.

The serious crash I referred to in my earlier post was when I was the sole occupant of the car. I was stationary because of a red traffic light with my handbrake on. The conditions that winter evening were awful - it was below freezing, snowing, foggy and almost dark. I was on a main road at a notorious set of traffic lights where it's usual to get held up. A local approached far too fast in the second lane, realised he couldn't stop so swerved into lane 1, straight into the back corner of my car. Unfortunately the lights were just changing, so I was checking my door mirror, resulting in the oblique impact that twisted my head round sharply.

I finished up being extricated by two ambulance crews, who came close to calling the fire brigade to cut the roof off my car. Eventually they realised that I was twisted round at such an angle that they could safely force my door open (it wouldn't open normally because the impact had pushed the whole side of the car forwards), get the police to close the road, then swivel me round on my bottom before lowering me onto a long board. I remember the paramedic from the all female crew that took me to hospital joking that many men pay good money to be tied up by a woman! She also laughed with me when I told her truthfully that it would take longer to explain my medical history than the two mile trip to A&E gave us time for. They were a thoroughly professional team and I hope they know how grateful I was to them that night. The A&E team were hopeless - until they discharged me they didn't even realise that I was a wheelchair user and that my chair was still in the wreckage, badly damaged.

The impact added severe whiplash injuries to my already complex medical problems, which has resulted in a permanent restriction in movement in my neck. I was housebound for five months, other than some agonising trips to see a brilliant team of physiotherapists who worked with me to salvage what motion in my upper back and neck they could. I remember many sessions face down on the couch with tears rolling down my face because my chronic muscle spasms were pulling so hard at the whiplash injuries. Without all that pain and effort I could easily have lost so much motion in my shoulders, neck and back that I would now find many tasks impossible.

I will never know the precise sequence of events. Immediately behind my car to my left was a junction into a side road. The driver who hit me claimed the collision was caused by a car coming the opposite way down the road I was on that turned right across the back of my car into the side road. The driver of that car, who I tend to believe, did not deny making this manoeuvre but blamed the collision on the car that hit me approaching the junction way too fast. My opinion of the driver that hit me fell further when he all but demanded to use my mobile phone (I told him where to go!) and further still when the police later accidentally let slip to my solicitor that he appeared to have caused a similar collision some six months after the collision with me.

In a long legal argument stretching over nearly four years, my solicitor persuaded the insurance companies of both these drivers to settle 50:50 after he issued County Court proceedings. He pointed out that I could not have been to blame in any way bearing in mind I had been stationary for some time because of the traffic lights, that his costs were already thousands of pounds and the costs of arguing the matter in court (where he would have instructed a barrister because of the complexity of the case) would have been disproportionate to the likely size of the damages.

The lesson from all this is simple - drive according to the conditions, maintain proper observation and keep your distance.

If you cannot stop in the distance you can see to be clear, you are driving too fast. On a single track road you should be able to stop in half the distance you can see to be clear, as an oncoming vehicle needs the other half of that distance to stop.

If you do not have at least a two second gap to the car in front, you are driving too close ("only a fool breaks the two second rule"). You should allow at least four seconds in poor conditions.

If you cannot be sure that you have the room to complete a manoeuvre, you shouldn't carry out the manoeuvre.

The number of people trying silly overtakes where they cannot see due to road layout, terrain or other vehicles is so sad, as there are so many needless injuries and deaths. The recent Think television advert showing the collision with the tractor on a corner of a country road should act as a reminder that carrying too much speed into a corner can be fatal.

There's a tree on a bend near my home that is always covered with flowers. The majority of the bend is over the crest of a hill and some drivers approach the top of the hill far too fast, not realising quite how sharp the bend is because you can't see through the bend on approach. If you go off the road in almost every other location along that stretch, the worst that will happen is you'll land in a field or in a ditch. In that location, if you land up going straight on rather than round the corner, you'll fly headlong into a very large and solid tree. There's nothing inherently dangerous about that corner - you merely have to read the road well enough to slow down appropriately on approach. In a typical car you will need to drop from 55-60mph in fifth or sixth gear down to around 30mph in third gear before you start to turn, which is far from an unusual speed to take a corner on an unclassified single carriageway rural road - indeed, it's one of the gentler bends on that stretch of road. If you arrive at this corner in fifth gear at 45mph plus, you may well not get round the corner. If you are unfortunate enough to go straight on, you could only have a fraction of a second left to live before you impact the tree.

The guy that hit me was even more stupid. He lived in the town in question, so he should have known he had almost no chance of getting through that junction without joining a queue at that time of night. The conditions were poor, but all he had to do was adopt the speed that was appropriate to the conditions. The lights of the queuing traffic would have been visible for some distance despite the poor conditions and the poor visibility should have acted as a prompt to slow right down.

Sadly, bearing in mind his record, I fear he might have been one of those who driving doesn't improve until they kill or injure themselves or someone they love. I hope I am wrong in this fear and that his driving has improved in the years since my collision.