Thread: Esa support group success-how do you know your total points score

wheelzinmotion

Esa support group success-how do you know your total points score

Hello.

Received a medical report form for esa. Decision based on questionnaire only with gp letter. No medical required. Migrated from sda to esa support group. We wanted to know the total points as the person has physical and learning disability. Report only mentions physical disability and diagnosis but does not mention learning. No total points score?? It's the combination of physical/learning disabilities that prevent the person from working and has never been able to work. Seems strange that the learning wasn't mentioned. Does this mean that it wasn't accounted for, or just that they haven't bothered to mention it. 3 years until review is ridiculous as the situation will never change and it is a well established diagnosis!

How can you make yourself exempt from the next assessment? We believe that shouldn't have needed the assessment due to the nature of disabilities.

Many thanks

In the Work Capability Assessment the term Learning, as such, only counts for one descriptor and is a pretty limited question.
    (i.e. setting an alarm clock and/or operating a washing machine).

It would of course impact on some of the other descriptors such as planning journeys, however it would not be reported separatley as 'Learning' but would be reported as part of 'mental, cognative, and intellectual function' or whatever terminology they are currently using on the letters.

ESA is different from the old DLA in that it cannot be given as a 'lifetime' award but has to be periodically reassessed.
    This was a political decision and like a lot of such decisions doesn't make much sense.
    The Works and Pension Select Comittee has raised this issue with the government on more than one occasion, but I wouldn't hold your breath for a change.

wheelzinmotion
    Thanks for reply.

Yes, completed planning, cognitive/intellectual function sections as they are very significant in the person's inability to do a job...it's all linked in with the disability...all info sent in seen by the GP... Seems strange that the report just mentions physical as the cognitive function is just as limiting as the physical in this particular case. Could they have just looked at the first descriptors and just put physical as it qualified the person for the support group? I'm assuming that JCP and the DM used a long history of past information that they have? This has been a life long disability, severe in function. I must say that the JCP seemed reluctant to send the ESA medical report because they said we didn't really need it being in the support group. Also, the report is only a page, with no reference to the points scored at all and in which specific categories. We know that max points scored in physical but there is no score sheet. Why don't they send this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelzinmotion View Post
    Thanks for reply.

. Also, the report is only a page, with no reference to the points scored at all and in which specific categories. We know that max points scored in physical but there is no score sheet. Why don't they send this? Thanks.
    I read your original post again and note that there was no WCA, it was a paper based decision.

In this case I'm pretty sure that there would not be a points score as such.

If I remember correctly the points are awarded at a face-to-face WCA, if its all done on paper based evidence then the system is different and there is no scoring given just a recommendation.
    (I need to check again on how this works but it may be a while before I can get round to it).

This would explain why the DWP can't send you a points score - there isn't one to send.

Hi Wheelz, It could be the report you have is a 'ESA85A' which is the report prepared without a face to face assessment. This report is not normally sent as it has to be requested (unless rules changed). Did you request this report?

If not, and it is not an 'ESA85A' then now is a good time to request one. Another form, the 'LT54' is another document that gives information as to how your support group decision was reached.

There are additional forms you can request giving probably all details of your assessment result. This would be particularly handy when re-assessment comes round, although at the moment, as there is so much confusion regarding current assessment and how some are being deferred for up to 2 years, this could result in a 3 year 'award' turning into a 5 year. However, it has to be remembered that this is what is taking place now. Where matters will be in 3 years times is anybodies guess!

Congratulations on your 3 year support group result!

wheelz your assumption is correct Q1 mobilising as you achieved that there is no point going any further into the rest, you could ask dwp to send you the decision makers report LT54 which should tell you what regulations you qualified under and also the reassessment date

nuke is also correct the points score is not done for a paper based decision, but there was a memo from dwp recently stating this had to be done in future but they do as they like.

edited to add link
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...91/adm8-14.pdf
    Last edited by slipmaster; 17-10-14 at 12:03.

Thanks for that link slipmaster.

Interesting to note the memo suggests that in these paper based cases it is the DM who should award the points based on the 'likely to apply' descriptors provided by the HCP.
    In previous forms I have seen for a face-to-face WCA it was the HCP who recorded the points on the form before sending to the DM.

I requested the Decision Makers report and was told it should be sent out automatically 7- 10 days after the letter -
    Still waiting 2 weeks later so another call is needed I reckon!!
    Sea Queen