Thread: mental health assessment

mental health assessment

after going through a very bad period, i went to docs this morning and for the first time in many years i have had a mental health assessment.

based on a score they then decide best course of action, i have been put on a longer term medication which told can take up to a month to work, will get the name later as it is in another room.

will let everyone know how i get on, he is hoping that it will do two things, one settle me down and second through settling me down stop the sinus tachy.

some good news i am now infection free, feel the bypassing may of been coursed through stress on top of infection over weekend,

mike

the medication i am starting is called mirtazapine,

the doctor is hoping that it will address 2 things, the sleeping issue and also that it will settle me down during the day to reduce sinus tachy,.

the only snag it does take quite while to start working.

just wondering if anyone else has had the mental health test done at their doctors, from the test the doctor decides the best course of action.

mike

I thought only psychiatric doctors/consultants can start these type's of medications after they assess you as they can have a huge affect on your mind i might be wrong tho..

without going in to too many details, i have for a long time been getting very poor sleeping problems which my fault i should of addressed with the doctors ages ago.

as things got worse for me i then sought to get treatment, the ideal medication for i cannot use due to having a catheter so this is the best alternative, the med is for poor sleeping problems.

as for doctors issuing antidepressants, there have been lots of issues on this which is why they must of brought in this score system, assure you your own doctors can prescribe these, i presume if things did not improve then they would refer to hospital, waiting lists now at 1 year.

it would be good to hear others views on the mental health issues,

mike

Hi Mike. My Hubby has severe Mental Health Problems. Re Medication There are many different Antidepressants on the market and they all have their side effects Some worse than others, However not everyone suffers from side effects so I do not want You to be put off trying Mirtazapine just because of what I am about to say. My Hubby was prescribed this and it actually made his nightmares and halucinations worse. This is listed as a possible side effect. He was also extremely agitated on it and gained over a stone in weight in 4 weeks! so He was taken off and prescribed Venlafaxine instead which works on different receptors in the brain. I would like to point out that My Hubby is on an Enhanced Care Plan and sees both a Consultant Psychiatrist and a Clinical Psychologist, It is usually His Psychiatrist that prescribes Medication and forwards to Our GP. My Hubby still gets nightmares but these are related to his Problems not the Medication. He is prescribed Diazapam for when things get too much and that does help But We try to only use them when really bad. There is another Medication available called Prazosin which is apparently very good for stopping nightmares ( it is also used for lowering blood pressure ) However I do not the effect it would have on the sinus tachy so Maybe if You find the Mirtazapine is not right for You then ask Your GP about this. I do hope You find something suitable as lack of sleep and nightmares do make everything seem so much worse. Also You should try and give any Antidepressant at least 4-6 weeks to start working so keep this in mind.
    Last edited by dukedog; 15-10-14 at 17:01.

this was the drug i was first prescribed for the nightmares, amitriptyline, it was 25mg and did a fair good job with odd breakthrough. after so long though i thought i was okay then stopped for some reason. bit by bit the nightmares continued and instead of seeking help i just put up with the situation.

sadly i cannot take this one now as it can cause problems with my catheter. i took the first dose of the new medication last night but like you say it does take up to 4 weeks or more just to work, i have a review next week for another check up esp with having sinus tachy, if there is no improvement on this side then think they are going to send me to see the heart surgeon again, only snag this can take ages as well.

i will keep your med in mind just in case this doesn't work out too well,

mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post

the doctor is hoping that it will address 2 things, the sleeping issue and also that it will settle me down during the day to reduce sinus tachy,.

just wondering if anyone else has had the mental health test done at their doctors, from the test the doctor decides the best course of action.

mike
    Yes. Had the test done many times and like you I ended up on Mirtazapine. I'm on the highest dose of 45mg/day and once it kicks in after a few weeks it worked quite well for me.
    Good luck, hope it works for you too.

No never had a mental health check with a doctor i.e. GP.

Not heard of Mirtazapine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post

mike

Mirtazapine is a antidepressant but can be used for people with poor sleeping problems.

mike