Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motablity or buying a car

Motablity or buying a car

It may be a little premature as I'm waiting for the results on my assessment from DLA to PIP.

I'm hoping I'll have the same as before the Enhanced/Higher Rate Mobility.

Been thinking of purchasing a second hand car, and weighing up the costs between buying or getting a car through Motability (fingers crossed - well those who can).

Motability - cheapest car £47 per week x 52 (one year) £2,444 - so three years is £7,332

Used car 3 months old from a dealership £6000 still has the warranty.

I understand the motability has insurance, wear and tear and break down, renews tyres etc.

Are there any further advantages to having a motability vehicle.

I wouldn't need any adaptations to it, probably only do about 3000 miles or less a year.

My sister visits every three to five weeks and stays for about five days to a fortnight on each visit (my driver when I'm not too well).

If I'm correct, those on the higher rate, get tax relief on road tax?

Is there anything I'm missing?

I appreciate any help on this.

Enhanced rate Mobility PIP gives you free road tax on one car. Standard rate Mobility PIP gives you 50% off road tax on one car.

To compare the two options properly, you need to look into various matters in more detail.

You need to enquire about servicing costs for the second hand car for three years, and make some allowance for the costs increasing over time.

You should get at least two insurance quotes. Your low annual mileage should reduce your insurance costs considerably. It's likely to be cheaper to include breakdown cover in your insurance than buy separate breakdown cover - standalone AA or RAC cover is extremely expensive these days. Another option for breakdown cover is a bundled bank account that includes breakdown cover (e.g. Nationwide's FlexPlus), though whether this is good value depends on whether the remainder of the bundled services have any value to you. You will need to allow for the cost of insurance increasing over time.

You should find out what the residual value of the car is after three years - Parker's or Glass's Guide will give you an idea. This figure is, of course, only indicative of the value of the car in three years' time, but it will give you some idea whether the car is likely to be worth £1500 or £500.

If you do not have the money to hand to buy the second hand car outright, you need to add the costs of borrowing that money to the costs of the second hand car option.

Obviously, all figures for the second hand car have a degree of uncertainty in them, but making these enquiries should give you a good feel of the relative costs of the two options.

I would not be surprised if the figures reveal that you are not a good candidate for Motability. Motability is likely to be expensive for someone who can manage with an unadapted small manual car and has a low annual mileage. Motability is usually good value for those with average to high mileages driving a mid to large car, or who need adaptations.

What type of car do you need?
    Small Hatch?
    Family car?
    How many passengers do you get on a regular basis?
    Boot space?
    City driving or motorway/country roads - if its a mix what % of each?

Let me know and I'll think of some examples for you - basically at the end of 3 years you'll own the car! You need to buy the best you can afford but only doing 3000 miles a year will help the decision.

My wife's car does 2000 miles per year, it only returns 25mpg but it doesn't matter due to the low mileage. She drives a boy racers car, a Citroen C2 1.6 VTS , a small hatch.
    • We bought it for £6000 in 2010
    • it costs £272 to insure
    • £190 to tax
    • servicing costs £250 every 2 years (it doesn't warrant an annual service, unless there are age related replacements)
    • 4 new tyres + tracking = £378
    • MoT costs £28 (search for discount vouchers)
    • Depreciation based on Autotrader £, after 3 years would be worth £4000 - now worth £3500

Over 3 years the outgoings would be
    • Insurance = £920
    • Tax = £540
    • Servicing = £480
    • Sundries = £400
    • MoT = £90
    • Depreciation = £2000

Total = £4430 (or roughly £1500 per year)

On a smaller more economical car you could cut those numbers down to roughly £3600 over 3 years, or £1200 per year - Insurance, Tax and Servicing will all be lower.

If you can afford a PCP lease then I would strongly suggest a VW Up/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii - they are the best small cars you can buy and they come with a 251L boot - the same as a Ford Fiesta only a smaller, easier to park car.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thank you Flymo.

I would just buy the car outright, no interest then.

I have to admit I hadn't thought about the breakdown cover through my bank, had forgotten that - I bank with Nationwide already.

Many thanks, great advice, off to do some homework now i.e. service charges and what it's worth later.

Wow thank you Paul - you've broken it down into sections.

Would only need a Small Hatchback.
    Boot space purely for shopping and occasional wheelchair in the back (fold up collapsible).
    Thought cars like the Toyota Aygo, VW Up, Citreon C1 etc I'm really not too worried which one, just cost effective and practical.
    Only two people in the car - 90% of the time, a rare occasion possibly three.

Love the detail, the costings are about what I thought.

I feel it would be more cost effective to buy due to the low mileage, wear and tear than getting it through Motability.

What is a PCP Lease?

95% of the time it would be driven to the supermarket, hospital, doctor, train station etc so all city type roads.

Thank you.

Brill, thanks grgr11, will look at the link, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by grgr11 View Post
    In addition to the posts above see here:

http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...(HP)-The-Money

Paul did a similar calculation 2 years ago, the figures may be a little off (due to benefits increasing every year but the general point is there). Further, Motability no longer do HP so you will need to find your own provider. Motability rates were higher than their competitors, so shouldn't be too hard to find a cheaper one.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    What is a PCP Lease?
    A Personal Contract Plan is a finance arrangement like Motability, but does not usually include insurance or tax. Servicing and repairs are usually optional.

The core element of a PCP is a contract to supply a car for a period of time, with so many miles allowed per year, in return for monthly payments. At the end of the contract period, you can return the car and walk away owing nothing, or ask for a price to buy the car, just like Motability. Some PCPs have a third option at the end of the contract - keep the car on a new PCP.

Ah thanks Flymo for clarifying that - PCP it's starting to make sense now

I'd be looking at something like this Skoda Citigo Elegance Greentech (Top Model) at £6880 (from a dealer) - get the best you can afford, and therefore it will be worth more come resale.
    This particular car is Auto Express's car of the year for 2013, Skoda tops the customer satisfaction surveys and underneath it all it's got VW's reliability.

The Elegance specification includes Sat Nav, heated seats, etc and will return 50mpg in town all day long. I wouldn't bother with 0-60 times, these are nippy city cars which will win the traffic light grand prix. They are also stable enough for motorway use and feel like a bigger car when driving at higher speeds. To top it all road tax is free for the Greentech model, with CO2 emissions of 98g/km.

Take a look on this forum dedicated to the Up (but is useful for the Mii and Citigo too) - Up Owners Club - you'll find out what owners really think about it.

Recent Reviews
    Auto Express review 5/5 - includes a video review too
    Honest John 5/5

If it had an estate version with double the boot space I'd be at the front of the queue - I love this car, I've been trying to get the wife to use the family car so I can get one of these too.
    Last edited by Paul; 13-10-14 at 16:24.
    Motability Car History
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm not too concerned but I've tweaked it anyway.
    Motability Car History