Thread: New ESA Form; Lost Old Copy. Can I Request Atos/DWP Send Copy?

New ESA Form; Lost Old Copy. Can I Request Atos/DWP Send Copy?

As the title question points out, yet another ESA form has arrived. This time in a white envelope, rather than brown. I wasn't that worked up about it since I'd already stressed myself out for weeks to fill out the old one; cramming info into the increasingly tiny boxes. Got put in ESA SG without medical. But it seems like the copy I kept got thrown out. Looked everywhere. It's bad timing because I've only just changed doctor, though I never saw my GP anyway and my psychiatrist hasn't changed...

So, quite simply: do I have to start anew or do I have a right to request what I sent last time be returned so I can use it as a reference? It's a difference between mental anguish and just copying with edits. Because of the delays/backlog, my last form was around 2years ago. Dunno how long they keep old records, or even if they send them out...

I doubt very much whether you'd get a copy of your last ESA 50, even if the DWP have kept it or a copy of it - I think all records are now digital.
    I'd suggest you get on and fill the new one in, as there is only a month limit from the date of the letter, use extra sheets rather than trying to cram what you want to say into those little boxes. If you are having difficulties ask your CPN for help, if you have one, or failing that contact a welfare adviser like MIND, CAB or any similar organisation to help you.

Best of luck with it.

To amplify what Jard has said, it is possible to request a copy of all information the DWP holds in relation to your ESA claim, but this process has a 40 day lead time, which takes you beyond the period you have to return the ESA50. It is possible DWP have destroyed your previous ESA50, as they don't keep records forever. Even if DWP can send you a copy of your previous ESA50, the ESA activities and descriptors changed in 2013, so the likelihood is that your previous ESA50 relates to ESA as it used to be, not ESA as it is now.

I would start again rather than concerning yourself further with the last ESA50. Jard makes some great suggestions about where to get help.

Yeah, wasn't hopeful. Just thought I'd ask in case this question comes up a lot and people have gotten their form/information back in a reasonable amount of time. No point even asking if they can take up to 40 days. Thanks for letting me know.

As it happens, the last form I filled in was the same TINY BOX 2013 one that I received the other day; just with 04/14 on. I guess I'm mixing up exactly how long ago it was with my 2years mention. That's why it's infuriating: I'd already re-written it to fit from my first ESA form. I could add extra pages, yes, but I get impression the more you say, the less they read. No point in them making the boxes so small if they wanted you to type far beyond the space they give. I think what I did last time was use extra space at end/extend that slightly.

Anyway, I'll see how it goes. The next few weeks and months that follow won't be fun. Thanks again for replying.