Thread: PIP simple or complex budgeting?

PIP simple or complex budgeting?

Seems like a silly question, but what is the difference between a simple or complex budgeting decision?

For example is a day trip to Alton Towers a simple budgeting decision? For many this could have several complex elements to it. Not only have you got to work out the cost of the tickets, but also travel expenses(parking if driving), food and drink, and any additional optional items such as photos and gifts etc.

The photos and gifts are potentially impulse buys which you hadn't previously considered. At this point you need to make a decision within a few minutes. you cant sit down and work out your budget properly within that time. Especially if mental health/learning difficulties make it more difficult.

It could be quite complicated to work out exactly what you would spend. I went there a few years ago on free tickets and still spent over £50 between 2 people.

I'm assuming here that money is tight and getting these decisions wrong could have consequences later through running out of money.

I think it would be more a case of;

Are you able to manage your day to day finaces?
    Can you manage your banking?
    Are you able to budget for bills, day to day living etc.

One of the questions I got asked is. would I know if I was given the correct change when buying something in a shop.
    Another one was, do I have online banking and do I manage the account myself.
    Also, who was responsible for paying bills, setting up direct debits etc.

I am not sure the example you have presented would come into the equation here.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

The official version of the activities, descriptors and points, together with important definitions needed to understand them, are found in Schedule 1 of The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/377) (click to link).

Simple budgeting decisions are working out the cost of several items and the change you are due. I suggest you read the definition of complex budgeting decisions direct from the regulations.

Don't forget that you can only do something for PIP purposes if you can do it to an acceptable standard. Impulsive spending decisions and failure to prioritise appropriately (such as buying a new mobile phone instead of paying your electricity bill) could be examples of failing to make complex budgeting decisions to an acceptable standard.

You may find the sticky PIP thread helpful in putting together your explanations. Amongst other things, it contains links to Disability Rights UK's guide to claiming PIP and to the PIP Assessment Guide, which is the official guidance from DWP to assessors.

Thanks for your reply. It's very helpful to be prepared for likely questions.

I'm assuming my own example wouldn't apply as it isn't something that is required on at least 50% of days. I used it however as something that wasn't overly complex, yet wasn't simple either. It's more to understand the difference between simple and complex. I won't be using this example in my application.

Thanks for your reply flymo. That link will be useful and I've been reading the sticky pip thread.

Think I have little chance for simple budgeting decisions, but things like buying a new car whilst I'm off work sick and likely to lose my job, or building up large credit card debts despite already having been declared bankrupt once largely because of car and credit card debts, will hopefully give me a chance at complex budgeting decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by carl30 View Post
    Thanks for your reply flymo. That link will be useful and I've been reading the sticky pip thread.

Think I have little chance for simple budgeting decisions, but things like buying a new car whilst I'm off work sick and likely to lose my job, or building up large credit card debts despite already having been declared bankrupt once largely because of car and credit card debts, will hopefully give me a chance at complex budgeting decisions.
    Don't forget though that you have to show that these mistakes are a direct consequence of your illness - lots of people who aren't sick or disabled make the same mistakes.....

Good point noisy noodle. I do believe that this is as a result of my condition. Particularly the cars. Having been bullied through high school, I find myself that determined to prove the bullies wrong and appear to be a success to everyone else, that I'll spend where I shouldn't in order to maintain that image. I know im digging myself a hole but can't stop. cars have a secondary purpose of keeping me off of public transport to avoid accidently bumping into bullies from my past. I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Suspect there could be a personality disorder in there but only just started therapy so will have to see what conclusions they come to.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    One of the questions I got asked is. would I know if I was given the correct change when buying something in a shop.
    Sorry but I immediately thought, would the person giving me the change know if it was right or wrong if the chechout till didnt tell them how much to give me!! makes me laugh when theyve got to try and work it out in their head. Ive usually worked it out and left the money before they speak. thats what happens when calculators were allowed in school, no thinking involved.

I had this question today for my DLA to PIP assessment.

It is such an awkward question. Some days I'm pretty good and other days I've done some foolish things, if it hadn't been for the honesty of the people involved I would have lost a lot more money. I told the assessor about my regular taxi drivers on more than one occasion I thought I gave £10 for a £9.00 taxi ride and said keep the change. In fact it was a £20 note. What the result will be from what I said I have no idea. Was also asked about banking etc.