Thread: Motability, RAC and Kwik Fit

Motability, RAC and Kwik Fit

I had a need to call the RAC this weekend – I had a terrible day on Saturday.

I was pulling out of a car park onto a country ‘road’ – it was gravelled and single lane, coming towards me at speed was a Mitsubishi L200/Nissan Navara type vehicle, big chunky 4x4 travelling at approx. 40-50mph.

I had no choice but to avoid a collision by turning off the road (I was only doing 5-10mph) yet that was enough for an almighty bang.

I thought I’d hit the body of the car into a metal pole, I carried on a few yards to clear the car coming towards me.

Then I thought even though it was peeing down I’d stop and take a look.

Well, would you believe it, I didn’t have a puncture but a huge rip in the sidewall of my NSR (passenger side rear) tyre, I had suffered a blow-out – thank goodness I wasn’t going faster/on a motorway as I’d have been seriously injured.

I decided not to leave the car where it was but travel at 5 mph down the road to the nearest pub car park on the main road, perhaps a further 1.5 miles, stopping occasionally to check that the alloy wheels were ok (still round), surprisingly the sidewall remained intact enough to travel at low speed.

When we arrived at the car park it was time to call the RAC or Kwik Fit mobile – which one to choose?
    Well that was an easy decision as I couldn’t find any paperwork in my handbook for them (or even a phone number), luckily the RAC number was on the reverse of the tax disc holder – we may be getting rid of the discs but I’m keeping that!

To make this journey even harder – more stressful, our adopted daughter was due to be collected from her drama class in 20 minutes time 3 miles away – my wife frantically rang round our friends only to settle on grandma who was available but 15mins away. Luckily they made it on time, but any change to plan for our daughter could make our day and hers a whole lot worse – structure and routine for adopted children is the only thing they can rely on, but luckily for us she is very brave and knew we would return for her, I’m still amazed at our bond/attachment so early in the process (she’s been home 8 months).

Anyway I digress, the RAC called to confirm my location and within 20m the crew had arrived, I talked him through the incident and he said I’d done exactly the right thing. Driving on the wheel is dangerous but at low speed it’s better to get somewhere safe than sat blocking a road that they might not have found, and certainly wouldn’t be room to fix at the roadside.

He put a temporary spare onto my car, but wanted me to lift the old wheel in my boot – policy apparently (with my back my wife had to help!).

My wife jumped out and was collected by my mother shortly afterwards to get home to LO asap.

I followed the patrol to Chorley Kwik Fit (Preston was nearer but he said the shops there were very busy, and you could wait 3hrs+), he then said goodbye and left – a very pleasant man and the same age as me too (only 34).

Strangely about 10mins into our journey the TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) popped up and said that I should urgently check my tyre pressures, I would have thought this should have appeared when by tyre BLEW OUT, not when the spare was on!

At Kwik Fit I booked the car in which was easy and then had a free brew. The man said it would be 30mins.

After my brew I walked across the road to the Ford dealership and asked them loudly in front of customers if the TPMS should activate when your tyre loses all pressure? They agreed something was wrong much to my amusement and the look on the customer’s faces!

Back at Kwik Fit I was glad I could access magazines on my phone (via a great app called Readly, £10 per month and unlimited magazines!), there was no reading material in the store at all!

2hrs later and my wife calls to ask how long I will be, I asked the bloke at the counter and he said they were waiting for Motability to approve it – they had only just put that request in! Another 30mins and I was away.

I can’t thank the RAC enough, but Kwik Fit were appalling, the seating was awful and their time keeping terrible, nice enough staff though.

From the moment I called the RAC, it took 3.5hrs for me to arrive home, the RAC only took 30mins of that time and most of that was travelling to Chorley (20mins).

My Saturday was wasted, and Sunday I spent in bed recovering from the pain inflicted by the poor seating at Kwik Fit, oh joy of joys!
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Rubbish weekend indeed! I've had similar experiences RAC Motability have always been fab but KwikFit are disorganised with a very variable service. The blokes who work in my local branch are helpful, and happily check my tyre pressure for me as I'm unable to do this, but any visit there on a Saturday means a lot of the day gone. I work one weekend a month so have days off in the week which is when I get my tyres checked. They're much less busy in the week, not sure if they're any more organised though....

Hope you've recovered from those seats. If life worked as it should you would get a day off work today in lieu of your rubbish weekend.

I'm sure the thought of leaving your daughter stranded was really upsetting all round. But a measure of how well she, and you two, are doing that she coped OK. Thank goodness for Grandma :-)

Thank goodness for Grandma, yes!

It would have all been different had Ford given me the option to carry a spare when I took out the lease.

I have a quick lift and a cordless electric impact wrench (to remove the nuts) and would probably have kept them in the car if I had a spare, I would have been back to the drama class within 20mins too.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Kwik Fit don't have a very good reputation do they - have heard many horror stories from customers who have used them. I remember a few years ago dozens of Kwik fit workers were sacked for fraud - they would accept cash payments for work carried out and then pocket the cash and put the work through, incorrectly and fraudulently, as motability work.

I had a puncture in June and RAC were very good. Took a hour for them to come and put spare tyre on. I have a tyre information system and it flagged that my rear tyre had lost pressure. Kwick fit repaired the tyre but I was there for a hour and a half.

Experiences with RAC and Kwik Fit, good and bad should be fed back to moatbility so they can monitor and perhaps change?

Kwik fit my ar.e.We had to have 2 tyres changed on our last car and we were there 3+ hours.

I had a tyre blow out on Sunday early hours. I was only a couple of miles from Beaconsfield, a large town in Bucks. The RAC Motability service could not get to me at all. They sent a contractor (nice guy) who took over 3 hours to get to me and then got recovered home. Kwik Fit mobile came out the day after I called them and replaced the tyre on my driveway. Bit fed up that RACs priority service was so poor given I was close to such a major town( too far to drive to on a flat though). Three hours nowhere near a loo wasn't fun.