Thread: Universal Credit Rollout

Universal Credit Rollout

I recently noted in my Work Programe posts, that Universal Credit was being rolled out in my area.

I've done a bit more looking round and came across this press release from 29 September:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...-in-north-west

Basically they are speeding up the rollout of UC nationwide, however I wouldn't worry just yet.

Even with this speeded up timetable they expect it to be 2016 (they don't say start or end of 2106) before it is fully implemented with new claims to existing benefit types ending.
    They will then start looking at migrating over existing claims onto UC.

Although you should be aware that if you have a change of circumstances they may move you over earlier.
    (A bit like the situation with transfering DLA to PIP I believe).

During the trial period there has been a guarantee that nobody moved over would loose out on benefits, this is called transitional protection.

The Universal Credit (Transitional Provision) Regulations 2013 were published in Autumn 2012 and govern transitional protection rules for the pathfinder areas. These regulations were only intended for the pathfinders and further regulations will be published to deal with the national rollout of UC.
    Here is a bit more about this although it is over a year old and so may be out of date by now; it is also talking in relation to tax credits not ESA but the principle is the same:
    http://www.revenuebenefits.org.uk/ta...al-protection/

EDIT
    More info about UC - Policy note, updated 19 September 2014:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/polici...sure-work-pays
    Last edited by nukecad; 03-10-14 at 14:51.

The 2013 transitional regulations have now been repealed, apart from certain savings to ensure continuity. There's now 2014 transitional regulations, plus an amending set of regulations, but these are not the last word on the rules for mass migration from existing benefits to Universal Credit.

Universal Credit only currently applies to new claims in a small number of areas - nobody is being moved from existing benefits to Universal Credit at the moment. The first couples claims for Universal Credit have finally started (up until recently, all couples claimed the older benefits). As of July 2014, those not Fit for Work or who receive DLA or PIP were outside Universal Credit and claimed the older benefits - I don't believe this has changed yet.

Undoubtedly Universal Credit will start to affect disabled people sooner or later, but there is some way to go before Universal Credit applies to the full range of potential claimants outside a small number of areas.

I still haven't started the process of being reassessed from SDA to ESA - a process that was supposedly going to be complete by April 2014.

Flymo - I had thought you were in the support group but I'm sure you won't be long now
    Sea Queen

There's enough in my PIP assessment report to show that I should be in the ESA Support Group based on mobilising. My walking ability is sub 20m, and the musculoskeletal examination showed how restricted the movement in my arms has become. It's some fifteen years since I was able to self-propel in a manual chair.

I will be putting these arguments forward when I get an ESA50, as it's in nobody's interests for me to undergo a face to face assessment when there is really no doubt as to the outcome.

Assuming I move to the Support Group, I will be slightly better off in the same way as your daughter, sea queen - a small amount of extra money and a greater proportion of that money will not be means tested.

As of today, I haven't received any correspondence about transitioning to ESA. As I'm on SDA, I will be amongst the last to be reassessed, but it shows how behind the process is. We're now six months from when the last people should have started to be reassessed for ESA. This leaves DWP in the daft position that they might struggle to get everyone onto ESA before reassessments onto Universal Credit start.

Universal Credit uses the same Limited Capacity for Work and Limited Capacity for Work Related Activity tests as ESA, so moving from Income Related ESA to Universal Credit will not involve a new ESA50 or face to face assessment.

Flymo they are obviously working through those with the SDA as that was what my daughter got as you know she is now in the S/G and her transition was remarkable swift and - well I won't say 'easy' as I put hours of research into this before filling in the form.
    However I expected her to be called in for a face to face but she wasn't.
    I am sure yours will be the same.

As for Universal Credit I didn't realise this entailed an assessment as I thought it was just a different way of paying monies and passing on responsibilities for the payments of rent etc on to the individual
    Sea Queen

At the moment, the way that existing claimants will be moved to Universal Credit is unknown because the only route onto Universal Credit at the moment is to make a new claim for benefit.

Anyone already on benefit moving to Universal Credit could potentially have information held in three places - DWP, the tax credits part of HMRC and their local council in connection with Housing Benefit. Theoretically, if the claimant has given correct information to all these organisations and has kept to their obligation to notify any changes of circumstances, the same information will be held by all organisations. The reality might be rather different!

I would expect those moving to Universal Credit to be asked to provide the same details as those making a new Universal Credit claim, so that their Universal Credit claim starts with correct information. Any information on Limited Capacity for Work and Limited Capacity for Work Related Activity can be brought forward from their most recent ESA assessment.