Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pip following a journey depression

pip following a journey depression

I have my pip assessment in about 3 weeks time and have been giving consideration to the following journeys question.

I suffer from anxiety and depression. Two ways I'm looking at this in relation to the following journeys are a lack of motivation and a lack of focus. I work in a sales job which I am struggling with due largely to anxiety. Travelling by car is essential to the job.

My mind has a terrible habit of considering other things whilst I'm driving. This can lead to me losing concentration on where I'm going, potentially leading to missing my exit from the motorway. This can easily add 20+ minutes onto my journey by having to continue to the next junction to perform a u turn. As this would then make me late, it would surely mean I wasn't completing the journey in a reasonable time. This can be overcome by a sat nav prompting me to take an exit.

Secondly there is motivation to commence the journey. I need prompting by someone to repeatedly tell me I'm going to be late for work. This again means the journey isn't completed in a reasonable time.

I'm aware standard sat nav isn't counted as an orientation aid so this may go against me. Can't find much information on how motivation effects the following a journey. I have no physical mobility problems. Is it worth trying for the mobility or should I purely focus on the daily living activities?

Although I work independently, I carry a trackable ipad so management know exactly when I arrive at work and will know I'm late.

The focus of the "planning and following journeys" activity is local journeys as a pedestrian / wheelchair user / mobility scooter user, also the ability to use public transport.

Driving is essentially irrelevant to "planning and following journeys". If you think about it, it would be unfair to pay PIP to people who are still medically fit to drive but have some problems with navigating themselves, but not to those whose medical problems were severe enough to lead to licence revocation, those who cannot afford to run a car or those who never learned to drive.

With a condition like anxiety and depression, it is important to establish that the each functional impairment you claim is as a result of your disability, as you can only score points for impairments as a result of your disability. There are plenty of people with no medical problems who struggle to navigate when driving without sat nav - my mother is one of them. She has poor awareness of where she is in space, but she is fine when she is somewhere familiar or is using a sat nav.

"Reasonable time" is defined in law as no more than twice the maximum time taken by someone without a relevant disability. Going one extra junction on a motorway because you missed your exit is unlikely to be unreasonable - there are plenty of healthy drivers who miss their exit.

For all these reasons, I cannot see that you will score anything for "planning and following journeys" on the information you give.

Thanks for your reply flymo. This is largely as I expected. I felt my case on that question was a little weak but wanted to see how other people would see it before I talk to the assessor.

Following a conversation with my manager, I'm likely to be out of a job by the 15th so my journeys to work are irrelevant now. The assessment is the 21St so I will probably be unemployed at the point I attend the assessment.

I'm sorry to hear about the job situation.

It's worth having another brainstorm before the assessment about all the activities, as it's possible to miss out on mentioning things that are relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by carl30 View Post
    My mind has a terrible habit of considering other things whilst I'm driving. This can lead to me losing concentration on where I'm going,
    I'm sorry about your job.

If your mind is not focused on the road and on what is going on around you maybe you should consider not driving for a while. Lack of concentration is a cause of many accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    I'm sorry about your job.

If your mind is not focused on the road and on what is going on around you maybe you should consider not driving for a while. Lack of concentration is a cause of many accidents.
    This is something i have considered, and if i find myself doing things that could cause an accident, ill reconsider driving. For the moment its inconvienient things like forgetting where im going and missing junctions. A pain when it makes you late, but not a safety risk.

And Flymo, i have been looking through all activities and brainstorming on the best way to be prepared for the assessment. there are a couple of questions in the daily living, but ill start a seperate thread for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flymo View Post
    The focus of the "planning and following journeys" activity is local journeys as a pedestrian / wheelchair user / mobility scooter user, also the ability to use public transport.

Driving is essentially irrelevant to "planning and following journeys". If you think about it, it would be unfair to pay PIP to people who are still medically fit to drive but have some problems with navigating themselves, but not to those whose medical problems were severe enough to lead to licence revocation, those who cannot afford to run a car or those who never learned to drive.
    Rather than starting a new thread, i decided to bring this one back to life.

As my tribunal is coming up, I am struggling with this question. To clarify flymo is saying here that driving is irrelevant. Therefore the fact that im able to drive should be completely disregarded. The assessment should then be based on my ability to follow journeys on foot, or public transport. (wheelchair user doesn't apply)

I'm aware flymo no longer seems to be active but hopefully someone else has thoughts on this.

From my own experience of this and from what I've read, the main focus of the planning and following journeys descriptor is local journeys on foot or by public transport and is mostly about the ability to do so without getting lost.

For anxiety issues it seems the most that will be scored is 4 points if the anxiety means you need to be accompanied all of the time. To score higher you would need to be classed as unable to plan or follow journeys both familiar or unfamiliar even accompanied for most of the time (to all intents and purposes housebound).

I referred to inability to use buses in my PIP claim, but the DM said it was not relevant unless there was a physical disability involved, or insufficient cognitive ability to choose the correct bus or know when to get off etc. This was upheld at MR.

So as no physical disability best chance is to demonstrate cognitive impairment.

I don't think it's possible to have the degree of impairment needed whilst simultaneously holding a driving license. To be unable to identify the correct bus or know which is your stop even when accompanied would make driving an impossibility.