Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suffering with insomia

TheAmazingAtheist

Suffering with insomia

For a week I now can't sleep. I only could get like an hour or 2 a night. It's like all the sudden it's a big problem and even when I feel very tired for bed I sleep but I end up waking up after an hour or 2. I have just woke up and I am typing out this status at 2:30am.

My disability is aspergers and lack of sleep isn't doing me any good for my disability. Also lack of sleep is effecting my bodybuilding that I enjoy doing causing lack of growth of muscles...

I am so frustrated, tired, depressed, anxious etc... I need serious help because it's going to effect my work and I only even work a few hours a week. Without sleep I am going to be very sick.

Sounds like you may have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. (OSA)
    This is a common condition where during sleep the soft tissues in the back of the throat begin to relax and after an hour or so block your breathing; this of course causes you to wake up.

This is very common with people who are overweight and also with bodybuilders, Rugby player, and the like.
    Is your Aspergers maybe making you focus a bit too much on the bodybuilding?
    (To much can be a bad thing).

It can be a serious problem and you should go and talk to your doctor about it.

There are various treatments, losing weight is always of great benefit.
    Some people use CPAP (Continuous positive airway pressure) machines;
    These machines provide a continuous stream of slightly pressurised air to keep the airways open while you sleep; I know that a number of contributors here use these.

You will find lots of information about OSA and CPAP online, but you should realy talk to your doctor about this.

people with aspergers often are lacking in melatonin, the natural hormone that makes us sleep
    You can get this prescribed due to your aspergers
    It is not widely prescribed due to the fact that it is unlicensed

TheAmazingAtheist
    Ok I went to the doctor yesterday and the doctor said that I am stressed and overweight. He suggested that I need to cut the calories and keep the proteins up for bodybuilding maintaining muscle and don't drink any caffeine during afternoon and evening. Maybe it's to do with my ESA benefit being very annoying and other thing's. He said that the stress is causing me to get insomnia. He also gave me a course of medication to take at night.

Yes, he's in the first stages of diagnosis and treatment, just as any doctor would.

Cut the calories, read loose weight.
    No caffeine i.e. coffee, Red Bull, Coke-a-cola, etc. all are stimulants that could keep you awake.
    Medication, you dont say what this is but it's probably a mild sedative to help you sleep in the short term.

If nothing has improved by the time you finish the meds then get right back to him.

PS. you don't mention alcohol but avoiding this is a good idea when you are having sleep problems.

TheAmazingAtheist
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Yes, he's in the first stages of diagnosis and treatment, just as any doctor would.

Cut the calories, read loose weight.
    No caffeine i.e. coffee, Red Bull, Coke-a-cola, etc. all are stimulants that could keep you awake.
    Medication, you dont say what this is but it's probably a mild sedative to help you sleep in the short term.

If nothing has improved by the time you finish the meds then get right back to him.

PS. you don't mention alcohol but avoiding this is a good idea when you are having sleep problems.
    Yeah it's a mild sedative and I don't drink much alcohol. I only would socially with friends but not much.

Personal question but do you snore a lot?

That's another sign of OSA, tell your doctor next time you see him.
    He won't just jump to a diagnosis of OSA he'll want to try a few other things first, and maybe refer you to a sleep clinic later for further testing.

Or as debee says it may be something else altogethe,r not OSA. Thats why the doc will want to try a few different things.

TheAmazingAtheist
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Personal question but do you snore a lot?

That's another sign of OSA, tell your doctor next time you see him.
    He won't just jump to a diagnosis of OSA he'll want to try a few other things first, and maybe refer you to a sleep clinic later for further testing.

Or as debee says it may be something else altogethe,r not OSA. Thats why the doc will want to try a few different things.
    No I don't snore, but my husband doe's and I got used to his snoring lol =)

But yeah I am hoping that the tablets knock me out cold tonight and feel better. If not then yeah I could try the sleep clinic for tests.

there are so many causes for insomnia, like your doctor says stress then stimulants can also cause problems along with weight and so on, if you are body building have you been taking anything different which could lead to this. other causes can be medical conditions.

one way to rule out anything going on is having a sleep study where a machine detects any problems going on during the night, i had this as i was badly snoring and would wake as if i had stopped breathing.

when i saw the surgeon was told a problem was there and he then put a camera through my nose only to find the left side had been crushed in! he thought it was a birth defect but i thought it was when i got drunk and walked head first in to a door , had an operation but there was no guarantee of success and over the years the problem has got worse again but for me i am not going back as it was a horrible op.

like i say there are many causes of insomnia and it is a common problem, worth asking for a sleep study test if it doesn't resolve.

mike

TheAmazingAtheist
    Ok just to let everyone know that for the first time in a week I had 9 hours of sleep. The medication works already and I feel better today.

At this point now I am going to start burning the calories to lessen the body fat and keep up the proteins through food and Whey protein powder to maintain muscle. At the moment I am weighing at 205 pounds and my target is to drop 5 pounds in a month. Doctor said it will improve sleep by losing 5 pounds of body fat and just drink tea and coffee in the mornings, not afternoons and evenings =)