Thread: Results of ESA - Letter - Q's

Results of ESA - Letter - Q's

No phone call just a letter telling my daughter she was in the Support Group - good news indeed and the right place for her to be!
    The hours I put in typing this up paid off.

There are one or two queries I have about the information in the letter and wonder if someone can explain them to me please.

1 You are entitled to both contribution and income related ESA?

2 The Contribution based part of the allowance is taxable?

Are the queries 1 and 2 above because my daughter gets SDA?

The letter goes on to say my daughter has been placed in the S/G because her illness/disability restricts the possibility of working.
    It also states my daughter will continue to be credited with National Insurance Contributions

He money will stay the same I think

There is no time scale on the award.
    Sea Queen

So pleased to hear the results, must be a weight off your shoulders. You should be able to get the length of time before the next assessment, the prognosis, from ringing DWP and asking them, they should also be able to have a copy of get medical report and the LT54, what the DM produces for the decision, it will say on there when her next assessment is due as ESA is open ended, just assessments every so many years to make sure claimants still qualify.

Relax now.

Contributions Based ESA is awarded on reassessment from SDA irrespective of the claimant's NI contributions record. This decision was taken because someone on SDA, which was not a means tested benefit, might have income and/or capital that would disqualify them from Income Related ESA.

Contributions Based ESA is, indeed, taxable - but it is unlikely that anyone on means tested benefit will exceed their personal allowance and have to pay Income Tax, especially as PIP and DLA are not taxable.

I think you will find she gets slightly more money in the ESA Support Group than she previously got on Income Support and SDA, though it's only a few pounds per week. (WRAG would be slightly less than Income Support and SDA). Moreover, a greater proportion of this money is likely to be non means tested, which might be important if her circumstances ever change in a way that would limit or remove her entitlement to means tested benefits.

All ESA awards are open-ended and do not have a definite end date. If you want to know the proposed time before reassessment, phone the number on the top of the letter.

Mags- thanks for that I will ring them and ask for the paper work to be sent out as I keep and file all information I can get my hands on for my daughter.

Flymo thank you for replying, I have been wondering how you are as I know you have been ill in bed.
    I send you my best wishes for a speedy recovery x

My daughter has a little savings but less than £5000, so I was surprised when she qualified for the Contribution Based ESA.
    You are right about her getting slightly more now she is in the Support Group - this will be about £4.00 a week more which isn't a lot but still gratefully received.

I am now going to phone the number to check her next assessment date etc.
    Whilst I hope you, young man, will get some rest to aid your recovery xx
    Sea Queen

I have made the call and was told next assessment will be in 3 years 3, also that the information I requested from D/M would be sent automatically in 7- 10 days.
    Sea Queen

Three years is the longest period before reassessment in the Support Group at present. The Work and Pensions Select Committee has suggested that longer periods before reassessment should be possible when the evidence suggests change is unlikely, but I am not aware of any changes being implemented.

Your daughter's savings of £5000 will not affect the Income Related element of her ESA, but DWP start to scrutinise things more carefully when savings reach £5500. Once savings exceed £6000, there start to be deductions from benefit for nominal income (£1 per week for each £250 or part thereof over £6000).

It's something of a silly situation, in that disabled people's interests are often best served by saving up for large items, also buying on any form of credit (other than 0% interest) is more expensive than buying outright. However, the policy is that means tested help is based on your current circumstances.

I tend to be very reluctant to spend money and would rather save, but recognise I'm subject to the same rules as everyone else.

I agree Flymo it is hard regarding savings, what happens when a person dies if they have no savings? The funeral needs to be paid for!
    I think there should be an underling of monies before the means test kicks in. Maybe £4-5 grand and then start the means testing for monies above that of up to £6000. My daughter wouldn't have that amount if I didn't help her to buy things.

Your first paragraph answers the question to what the Job centre plus assistant said when I asked about time limit which was
    Probably indefinite by now - but let me check.
    So as you say it is coming - for certain people, but not yet being implemented.

I asked would it be the same form or a smaller more compact one for the second assessment - but no --- lol
    So pleased I saved and printed off all my work as I can just tweak it accordingly for her next one.
    Sea Queen