Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency care?

I would get that alarm back and also speak to social services when you are well to put something in place, as it may not be possible to arrange things quickly when needed unless something has already been set up
    I had a small stroke and contacted social services for help,they said it would be six months before thay could asses me!
    I was left on my own with a 7 year old
    My housing officer happened to call for something unrelated and saw I was struggling and got a support worker to ring social sevices for me and demand that they asses me as an emergency case
    This bumped me up to 3 months till assesment!!
    By the time I was assesed, I was a lot better, but still struggling, but was told that no help could be arranged as my council only provide help for those deemed to be critical
    We ate takeaways for ten days in a row
    the money for these taleaways I borrowed from my son

Contact social services IMMEDIATELY. If your not feeling safe doing basic personal care like a shower, ask for a social care assessment.
    I had to contact the Social services for my mom (she's been having carers since she came out of hospital). Only to be told "she hasn;t got an allocated social worker". Chewed their ear off, I can tell you. If you can only get it set up so that WHEN you do need help its in place, its a start, cuz believe it will take time!

Thanks for your replies. Rubbish couple of days, felt so unwell and weak. ( My mum is amazing, I've just had a little bit of her chicken soup. All care should be like this!) But reading your replies here I am definitely going to talk to social services, there will be a next time and there is no guarantee Mum would be able to come and stay. DeeBee I read your advice about the alarm and thought "oh I'm usually fine, I don't like having one" Duh!! I will get it back.

I hope you're on the mend and are feeling a bit better. You mum sounds like she should hire herself out to provide emergency care for all of us!

Just an update, continued to feel weak and unwell so had blood test. My thyroid is under active, so easily sorted with thyroxin which I started taking on Friday. Difficult to recognise these things when you're used to being tired and achey, etc. Sounds like I should feel better quite quickly now. Also have week off work booked next week, think this will help.

I also have the phone numbers of a couple of local care agencies, for any future emergency I think this will be my quickest plan. And I've got the alarm coming back this week.

So don't ignore feeling rotten, it's always worth checking things out!

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Only to be told "she hasn;t got an allocated social worker".
    Hi Reddivine, I think its fair to say that the system of having an allocated SW went a few years ago, it did in my LA anyway.
    If someone has a change of need ie increased care needs or hospital, a SW or assessor would be allocated (probably on a waiting list until an allocation is made) to deal with any changes. That allocated person would be with the person for 6 weeks and then the case would be closed to them.
    I think as the population grew and the people in need grew, living longer etc there was never going to be enough SW to meet the needs of the people so the 6 week rule generally works well.
    Surprisingly the general public wouldnt be told of this, not unless they needed to know! Me? cynical?

You could contact a local care agency now and they will have all your derails on file so if you need them in the future you just ring them.

At the moment. I have 2 PAs and use a care agency two mornings a week for my needs.

Good luck, hope you feel better today

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    Just an update, continued to feel weak and unwell so had blood test. My thyroid is under active, so easily sorted with thyroxin which I started taking on Friday. Difficult to recognise these things when you're used to being tired and achey, etc. Sounds like I should feel better quite quickly now. Also have week off work booked next week, think this will help.

I also have the phone numbers of a couple of local care agencies, for any future emergency I think this will be my quickest plan. And I've got the alarm coming back this week.

So don't ignore feeling rotten, it's always worth checking things out!
    I've only just read this Fliss. I would strongly suggest you contact those agencies sooner rather than later because it could take easily a couple of hours for them to do their paperwork and it's better to do it now and wait until you are ill and unable to sit for 2 hours thinking of answers to all sorts of personal questions

Dear Andy Pandy thank you for your concern; I have phoned two agencies this week and also given a close friend their details, etc. I'm generally lucky enough to be well, and then I can manage OK, but you are correct it does only take a short time for me to get to the point where I just can't look after myself. Hopefully now I'm more prepared!