Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergency care?

Emergency care?

Hi I'm interested to hear if anyone has ideas/experience of my situation today. I'm not well, I'm sure it's nothing in anyway serious, and I will no doubt be ok again soon. I've been conscious for the last couple of years that if I was to become unwell I would need some help. I use a wheelchair out of the house, but am fully independent and live alone. Which is usually fine. But today has made it clear I'm not ok if I'm unwell - luckily my fab cleaner comes on a Monday so I decided to have a shower while she was here, and managed but only just. A friend is popping in later, so all will be well. But it's made me realise again it wouldn't need me to be very unwell before I needed some help to do basic things like get washed and get a drink. Does anyone know if it's possible to get emergency temporary help in this sort of situation?

I'm very conscious writing this that the situation I describe today is really not that bad. I reckon I've got a female strain of man flu virus!! I'm also lucky in that it's unusual for me to be unwell at the moment.

Any thoughts appreciated

I'm sorry you're unwell - hope it is nothing serious and soon goes.

I can't help with your question but I would be interested in any answers. I am in a similar situation in that I can manage by myself when I'm ok but should I be unwell all bets are off.

Thanks CL, sure it's not. But it made me think, sounds like you've had similar thoughts yourself!

In the circumstances described, the best option is likely to be contacting Social Services. If Social Services can't arrange help, admission to hospital seems likely.

Get well soon, Fliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    Hi I'm interested to hear if anyone has ideas/experience of my situation today. I'm not well, I'm sure it's nothing in anyway serious, and I will no doubt be ok again soon.

Any thoughts appreciated

I'm not particularly sure, though have discussed with a Personal Alarm company i.e. having an alarm put in which is through the landline. At times when I'm extremely poorly and fall over etc I could have someone come and help me. I've not done anything yet but aware that I live alone and have had problems where I've been on the floor for an hour or two unable to get up. Not sure if something like this would help you. Your OT may be able to give more advice.

It might be an idea to get Social Services involved and tell them of your concerns, that in the event of an emergency you would need help.
    No harm being on file in case you cant manage.

As others have said you may wish to contact Social Services and see if you could be entitled to Direct Payments.

I require help at various times but the frequency and duration varies. I use a couple of local care agencies I've used to supply assistance. They know the hours are irregular and I may seek support at short notice, and whilst they can't guarantee always to have staff available they usually do. If one agency can't help one of the others usually can.

Good luck
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Thanks folks. Vantage that's interesting that your care needs vary and you have found that agencies are able to respond quickly. I think the best thing for me to do will be to call social services and have a chat. They maybe able to suggest some agencies. Then if/when I'm poorly I would be able to call them if that's what I needed. Hopefully they will have some sort of register, and they do know of me from a few years ago. I did have an alarm in the past, but decided I didn't need one. Maybe I should reconsider.

Flymo I think you're right about hospital admission - and obviously I'd much rather avoid that.

A friend is driving my mum (who is 79 and totally fit and well) over this evening, so that will be perfect. No careers needed today, but obviously this won't always be the situation. My friend sent me a text to say a big bag has been packed, so she's coming for a while it seems. Catlover you should come for tea!!

My daughter uses telecare for times when she needs help and should she need looking after they would send someone round to check her over.
    Several years ago she went down with what she thought was a bug.
    Our local social care provide a night time call when staff will go every 3 hours ( I think ) to help where needed.
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    Catlover you should come for tea!!
    I could bring some Wiltshire farm foods....

I suppose I ought to be thinking about this sort of thing. I don't think my care needs would warrant any sort of help from social services but there is always the worry that things can change when you're unwell, whether that be additional care needs as a direct result of being unwell or just finding it harder to do what I normally do each day, and I don't have any family close by.