Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA taking a long time!

ESA taking a long time!

Hi all, just stumbled upon this site and thought I'd try my luck!

I applied for ESA last September, lots of delays but was awarded and had back pay paid on Christmas Eve 2013 (yay food!!!). I had my wca after 24 weeks (in June 2014). I am still waiting on a decision on my assessment, it's been 13 weeks.

Anyone had any experience of this? I know delays are common after sending the questionnaire back and waiting for ATOS to contact you but others I know have found their decision has been made quite quickly. I've found out it hasn't even been looked at by the 'decision makers' yet "/
    Plus all in all it's been 12 months, seems a bit much!!

Is this normal? Any tips to speed things up without rocking the boat, I am currently receiving £33.48 a fortnight (aswell as child benefit/tc for my son) due to deductions and I'm starting to struggle.

Hi some have contacted their MP which seems to help getting things moving
    alot of people have had a long wait but if your now struggling it may be worth asking your MP to get in touch if you've had no joy contacting them yourself xx

Thanks acheron.

I spoke with a friend who volunteers for the cab she said to follow through with a complaint to the dwp before contacting my mp but I don't see any harm is taking some mp advice (off record) at my local surgery before I decide what to do. The next one is 3 weeks away so I might have heard something by then haha

I emailed my mp, sod it.

Just spoken to someone at the benefits centre handling my claim and it's going to be atleast another month before it's even looked at bloody hell!

If your only receiving assessment rate you could try and make a case on hardship grounds and ask them to suspend your deductions until you have full benefit through.

Thanks Jard
    I doubt I'm classed as in hardship because I get £80 a week in my son's benefits too.

I hear that it can be a really difficult slog trying to sort this out. Is there still a massive backlog? My local MP has helped with a dew people on this in the past, worth chasing them

The ESA department I called (Sheffield I think) said they weren't aware of any back logs but the decision making team said they think they are working from June onwards at the moment, so the month before mine was sent to them.

Hopefully my mp will be able to do something. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Picklesmomma View Post
    The ESA department I called (Sheffield I think) said they weren't aware of any back logs but the decision making team said they think they are working from June onwards at the moment, so the month before mine was sent to them.

Hopefully my mp will be able to do something. Thank you
    Definitely go the MP route, they are more than likely going to help out. Hope it all gets sorted for you

Thank you Jon.

Had my decision today thankfully. It's a no have to wait til the 13/10 to see psychiatrist to sign me fit for work before I can claim Jsa. Bloody hell!