Thread: Public transport aid for disabled users

Smile Public transport aid for disabled users

Hi there,

My name is May and I am currently a Masters Year student studying Product Design Engineering, at the University of Strathclyde.

I am currently working on a design project which is primarily to identify a problem and provide a solution by the means of a product.

I have been doing some research on the topic of improving the experience of public transportation for people with disabilities. I am very interested in this sector; however my knowledge of this area is very limited. I have been doing research online, but I would really like to hear the opinions of people who understand the issues much better than me. Is there any particular issue you may have when travelling on a bus, train or plane? What type of problem are you faced, which you wish there was solution for?

I would be incredible grateful if you could spare me a few minutes to help me out.

If you do not wish to post your reply here, or are particularly interested in my project, please get in touch with me at may212_uk@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,

May

Well you'll have to be a bit less vague May. I travel extensively on public transport, not being a driver and have experiences of bus, train, and (some) plane. What exactly did you have in mind? Design of wheelchair space on trains springs to mind, some of em, good, some appalling!

Across the country I'm sure there are discrepancies. Where I am - the buses - if they do turn up. Limited space for wheelchair users i.e. one space and if there's a pushchair already in it a wheelchair user has to wait another 15 mins to 30 mins for another bus to turn up.

Seats for the elderly and disabled - young persons i.e. students tend to use them especially the men as they have more leg room. They do not give up their seats. I personally would love to see a sign saying - IF YOU ARE SITTING FACING THIS SIGN YOU MUST BE DISABLED. Or something similar. Or it would be nice if the bus driver told these youngsters to move and give up the seat for someone with a walking stick.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    Across the country I'm sure there are discrepancies. Where I am - the buses - if they do turn up. Limited space for wheelchair users i.e. one space and if there's a pushchair already in it a wheelchair user has to wait another 15 mins to 30 mins for another bus to turn up.

Seats for the elderly and disabled - young persons i.e. students tend to use them especially the men as they have more leg room. They do not give up their seats. I personally would love to see a sign saying - IF YOU ARE SITTING FACING THIS SIGN YOU MUST BE DISABLED. Or something similar. Or it would be nice if the bus driver told these youngsters to move and give up the seat for someone with a walking stick.
    I concur with that and even if you ask the offender politely if they will move the request tends to be ignored. They will look anywhere and pretend not to hear/see you. As for buggies, it is up to the driver to ask them to fold them and they don't want to make that effort.
    On our buses there is a notice in the space saying that buggies must be folded if the space is needed by a disabled person and this request is pointed out by referring to the relevant law that they are breaking if they refuse to do so.
    That is alright but no one enforces it.

I often say to offenders when I leave the bus after struggling, often on a long journey, in a seat where I can't use my frame to get there, so end up hanging onto seat backs whilst pushing the folded frame with my legs and then I have to put it on my knee, "Thank you, I hope that one day you WILL REALLY need those seats and nobody will move or fold the buggy for you. Then you might just appreciate how important they are to a disabled person."
    That is actually a very nasty comment as I wouldn't wish disability on anyone but it makes me so angry.