Thread: Housing benefit help please

Housing benefit help please

I am currently receiving housing benefit as i am on SSP. I was wondering when i cancel it. When i go back to work or when i get paid because i don't get paid till month after i return to work?

Thanks dor your help

It seems to depend on how long you have been on benefit, (I think SSP qualifies as a benefit in this case but am prepared to be told that I'm wrong).

The wording from the goverment advice leaflet is:
    If your benefits stop

Some benefits stop if you go back to work, work more hours or earn more money.

If this happens, you could get an extra 4 weeks of Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent. This is called Extended Payment of Housing Benefit. If you’re eligible your council will contact you. You must have received certain benefits continuously for at least 26 weeks right up to the time when you went back work.

Once your extended payment ends, you might get ‘in-work Housing Benefit’.

How to apply

You don’t have to claim - your council will decide if you’re eligible for help and write and let you know.
    https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/further-information

Its probably worth ringing your council to ask about your particular case, they are usually quite helpful with housing benefit queries.

As nukecad says, let your council know about the changes in your circumstances (such as when SSP stops and when you go back to work) and let them determine your entitlement to Housing Benefit. If you close your Housing Benefit claim yourself, you might miss out on money you would otherwise have received.